NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Oradell/Tappan/Woodcliff/Deforest - Any advice for new permit holder? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Oradell/Tappan/Woodcliff/Deforest - Any advice for new permit holder?

I just ordered and received my permit from Suez (formerly United Water) to access the Hackensack River reservoirs (Oradell, Woodcliff, Tappan & Deforest). I did some searches and don't see many recent posts that reference any of these lakes. That makes me think either the fishing is not great and I just wasted $50 or the fishing is good and no one wants to burn their spots. I hope it is the latter.

Oradell is the closest to where I live, probably 35 minutes or so without traffic (Woodcliff just a bit farther), however I also travel to Purchase NY for work quite frequently and both Lake Tappan and Deforest are right off 287 which is the route I take to the Tappan Zee. Suffice to say I plan to frequent all the lakes if given the chance.

In any case, if anyone with experience fishing these lakes could PM me with advice on which lakes have the best smallie fishing, some general areas to target and lures that work best I would greatly appreciate it (and keep any information provided to myself). There are no lakes in Union County with Smallmouths so that is the species I am most excited about targeting.

I plan to make my maiden voyage to one or all of the lakes this Sunday as my wife has given me a pass for the entire day. PM me if anyone is free Sunday and wants to meet up, company is always welcome. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Oradell/Tappan/Woodcliff/Deforest - Any advice for new permit holder?

I poke around the Suez Res's once in while, Mostly Oradell Res and Woodcliff Lake. There's not much there as far as structure, they are basically just basins. What ever gate you choose to use, don't be afraid to walk some distance while exploring the shoreline. Stick to points and coves. There are some good LM's and SM's in the lakes, some big yellows also. The Oradell is loaded with gizzard shad and you will find smallies on surface blitzes like blues on bunker during summer dusk. They aren't too pressured so there are def some decent fish to be caught out there. I've heard of solid smallie fishing at Lake Tappan but haven't really fished it hard yet.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Oradell/Tappan/Woodcliff/Deforest - Any advice for new permit holder?

Oradell was stocked with Hybrids a while back and I know for a fact that there are still a few left in there .

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yeah they are just sandy oasis's but plenty of bass over 7 pounds in all 4. Not much else besides largies and smallies and the problem is there is so much baitfish so they are a little picky. Best fishing is probably fall when the water is lower and you can walk out. Never caught one over 4 pounds in there unfortunately. Theres also a few hybrids and pickerel left in Oradell but it is very very uncommon to catch them.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Currently at the Oradell Reservoir, water is real high and still cold. Fishing is tough right now. For about two weeks during the spawning season, fishing is easy. Summer is incredibly tough as you can't boat nor wade. Late October can be fun for about two weeks when they are chasing baitfish.

There are a few great spots but sadly they are off-limit areas. A friend of mine was fishing at one of those spots and was caught. They threatened to call DHS on him. Needless to say, he never returned to that spot again.

For the past 20 years, I only caught 4 LM bigger than 6 lb but never caught anything over 7 lb. I caught 3 SM bigger than 4 lbs. I caught one Hybrid last year for the past 7 years. I have never seen Pic there. I did catch one 5 lb Smallie at an off-limit spot while volunteering to clean the reservoir last year.

I presume it can be a great place to fish if you can cast 100-150 yards to the middle of the lake from the shore. There are hardly any structures. I can count less than 10 people who fish there year after year, not counting the bucket brigades who have disappeared last few years due to poor fishing.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Looks like I have a meeting in Fort Lee Thursday afternoon, I am going to try and check out Oradell afterwards for the first time. I planning to park at Gate 1, 2 or 3, haven't decided which yet but if anyone has some inside information that might make my choice easier please send me a PM.

If anyone is looking to wet a line in the area Thursday around 5:30 let me know.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Well I only managed to hit up Oradell for about 20 minutes on my first trip but did manage to land this nice crappie on a shallow diving squarebill. I wish I had more time there was lots of splashing on the surface. Some may have been carp but def think there were some bass hitting topwater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	109067