NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Split rock- perch game savers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Split rock- perch game savers

Hey y'all. Havent gotten out much- work family stuff the whole nine- hadn't done the kayak in prob a month- been feeling pretty good so rather than weedwhack a hike I went up and paddled around split rock- pretty place, road in still sucks and water was only slightly too hot lol
Put in 630- worked my way north and held east- worked past the marshy part (loaded with either gobies, shiners or some other kinda bait) ended up bringing two rods- trolled a real deep crank on my ultralight- hit about 15 good size yellow perch- saved my day-. Threw just about everything at every depth- not a whisper except I found slime dart heaven-was in the shallows and didn't know it. Perch stopped biting when that big yellow thing got too high-also at same time they started doing the fish survey- got back to the lot- couple guys had all the name- no lmb- one smallie by the dam(didn't go that way) didn't see any blow ups besides a beaver.
Anybody done good up at split rock?
Edit did find a cool rope swing-west shore, didnt try it thou, got kinda sore by the end of it, didn't wanna push my luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	103017  

Last edited by 23cardinal; 08-31-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Split rock- perch game savers

one of my home water spots,nice perch. that place has nice size perch on both sides of the big island . slime darts like the narrows in the back less rocks and more vegetation for them to hide in.smallies and crappies like the front dam area you even get decent sized rockys and sunnies there as well. glad to hear you had a chance to get out there be warned there is no swimming allowed at the rock those rope swings have been there awhile.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was there a week or two ago. Worked my way up to the island and back. Got a perch and a 13 inch largemouth on plastics, and a bruiser of a 15 inch smallie on a popper that made my day. Had lots of blowups on the popper but I was convinced they were small fish. Downsized my lure and whalah, sunnies. Fished about 4 hours. I love that place for its scenery but I've never lit the world on fire there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	103037  
Old 09-02-2016, 04:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was up there once this year and also encountered the overly aggressive sunnies but no noteworthy bass to speak of. For me anyway it used to fish better. I haven't had what I would consider a good day there since the dam broke but I haven't really spent anytime trying to figure it out because the launch is such a pain.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've had my best luck with bass there north of the big island, hitting the edges of the pads with a Senko.

Resist the urge to swim there, whether from the boat or rope swings. Swimming is illegal there and they have been really cracking down on swimmers the past few years.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks everbody
Yea- I read they had cracked down- certainly put Enuff signs up.
Yea by the time I hit the pads they had started the fish survey up there so the bite was off-
I'll tag team it again, but the launch is tough for me alone
I have 12.5 mainstream kingfish (very old)
I believe it actually weighs a ton.