NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

boat paint removal ?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-19-2016, 06:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default boat paint removal ??

my bottom paint is being scraped off at the moment , my question is when its done being scraped what is the best thinner or remover to make it clean so i can start to prep for all new fresh coatings. i basically wanna bring it back to fiberglass and start over
Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: boat paint removal ??

Only read about it so take it for what it is, soda blasting.

http://www.sodablastingbricktownship.com/
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3871_zpsrgr1t6td.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	95028

Name:	IMG_6251_zpsgy1oc4tv.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	95029

Name:	IMG_8635_zpsikfa2cnd.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	95030

heres what i got after straping the paint off how do i clean this up and get clean enough to start prepping for fresh paint !
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'd give it a light sanding to make sure the surface is ready for paint and then hit it with some Will Bond which you can buy at any paint store.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

hey gerry thanks for the reply , do you think i should wet sand down to make it all white fiberglass or just smooth the surface and scuff it up? i was gonna sand powerwash then wipe with a thinner/cleaner . i also need a little work on the v of the keel as it has some spots where it looks like it was scraped up from pulling on trailer do u know any fiberglass guys that are decent and reasonably priced?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

You might want to sand down to get all the paint off and if you do, I would reccomended you put a few coats of barrier coating before the bottom paint. Barrier coating is very common when people do a thurough bottom job since barrier coating helps seal the fiberglass so you avoid blistering.

Wet sanding is probably not a bad idea but you can dry sand as well. One benefit of wet sanding would be keep down the bottom paint dust you don't want to be inhaling.

And yes a after sanding wiping down the hull with a tact cloth or thinner to make sure you get all the dust off the hull before painting would be a good thing. If your are power washing after sanding probably no need to do this.

Don't have any reccomendations for a fiberglass guy but since its on the bottom, not noticeable and you don't have to be careful about blending and matching the gel coat, I'd just get some 2 part expoxy and make the repair myself. Make sure the expoxy you get is for repairs below the water line. Any marine store should have it. You apply with plastic puddly knife like spackle, let it harden, sand it smooth and paint it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
You might want to sand down to get all the paint off and if you do, I would reccomended you put a few coats of barrier coating before the bottom paint. Barrier coating is very common when people do a thurough bottom job since barrier coating helps seal the fiberglass so you avoid blistering.

Wet sanding is probably not a bad idea but you can dry sand as well. One benefit of wet sanding would be keep down the bottom paint dust you don't want to be inhaling.

And yes a after sanding wiping down the hull with a tact cloth or thinner to make sure you get all the dust off the hull before painting would be a good thing. If your are power washing after sanding probably no need to do this.

Don't have any reccomendations for a fiberglass guy but since its on the bottom, not noticeable and you don't have to be careful about blending and matching the gel coat, I'd just get some 2 part expoxy and make the repair myself. Make sure the expoxy you get is for repairs below the water line. Any marine store should have it. You apply with plastic puddly knife like spackle, let it harden, sand it smooth and paint it.
Commander You are truly a wealth of knowledge. Two thumbs up!!
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Oven cleaner