NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Holiday shopping offshore gear :) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Holiday shopping offshore gear :)

Hello all,

Taking advantage of some holiday deals, looking to get an offshore chunk/troll reel. I prefer to have a powerful reel that can handle a sword. Would a 5/0 or 8/0 reel suit better for this? Figure I'll be using it both party boat and private if that makes a difference. I was looking at canyon reels and they have some nice options.

Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

Happy holidays and tight lines.

WhaleFart
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Holiday shopping offshore gear :)

I'm not sure what your budget is but if I was going to grab one reel for chunking and trolling in the local canyons it would be a 30N size with 100 yards of 60-80# mono on top backed with hollow core spectra. As far as brands are concerned I like the Avet EX 30 and also the Okuma Makiara SEa 20. Although the Okuma is called a 20 it is actually a bit larger than my Avet EX 30. I know some will disagree with me here but I find that the W models suck compared to the narrower standard models because they are so wide they tend to wobble when you are cranking and it is also harder to level the line when cranking in a fish. If you need more capacity go up a reel size. Both reels have plenty of smooth drag and are very well proven.

If you need a rod to pair up your new reel with let me know. I know a guy who builds some sweet rods
Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Holiday shopping offshore gear :)

Shimano tiagra 30. Heavy, but she's a beast. Well worth the investment.