NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ocea Jigger Info - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Ocea Jigger Info

Any NJFish members own an Ocea Jigger? Im a lefty and searching for a new tog reel. Tough to get information and opinion on this reel since it is only from Japan. Looking for the 1501 PG. I understand it is the quality of a Talica 12 except with a star drag and auto engage. Would like to know any experience with ordering from overseas whit duties and import taxes. I am also very concerned with parts from overseas. Thanks in advance for any replies. Fishfish
Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Ocea Jigger Info

a good place to buy from is digitaka.com. They do have a good reputation for delivery being quick, plus pricing that's ideal.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Problem with buying these reels like ocea jigger or saltiga 20z, 30z from Japan is that when you have an issue you can not get parts in US or service them here. You need to send them back to get fixed. My friend waited 6 month to get his back. Shipping can also be costly. That is why i have stayed away from these even though they are nice reels.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Saltfisherman and MVP for the quick replies! Digitaka.com comes with great reviews and very good price. I have asked about service and was told that a good repair tech that can fix Talicas can fix OJ's. I would imagine some time to get parts but Shimano Japan should be the source. I fish Avets and Accurate now, but want a star drag this time. Saltiga 20's in left hand were discontinued and unavailable. I also want cast control. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Lefties are limited in selection. Thanks again!

Last edited by Fishfish; 12-11-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Another idea is buy a used saltist high torque models. Replace the stock drag washers with greased smooth drag washers. The reels are 4.9-1 ratio.

If you want a higher ratio reel, grab a torium and again replace the drag washers.

Or, pick up a maxel reel. The original design has a clicker noise, the newer reel is a silent model. The original is on sale. Check out Yong at jigging world. The maxel is something around 5-1 ratio.

I own these 3 model reels I listed and all would work fine.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I missed the left hand retrieve you'd like. I believe maxel does come in lefty.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfisherman View Post
Another idea is buy a used saltist high torque models. Replace the stock drag washers with greased smooth drag washers. The reels are 4.9-1 ratio.

If you want a higher ratio reel, grab a torium and again replace the drag washers.

Or, pick up a maxel reel. The original design has a clicker noise, the newer reel is a silent model. The original is on sale. Check out Yong at jigging world. The maxel is something around 5-1 ratio.

I own these 3 model reels I listed and all would work fine.
I talked to Young two days ago. Great guy and very helpful. I considered the Maxel 05 or 06 but again a lever drag and no cast control. I do alot of pitching away from the boat when I tog and when my thumb gets cold or stupid, nothing worse that a braid backlash. Im getting to much into this thing with lever vs star drag. My favorite go to reel is my Accurate with the 4:1 lower ratio. In my search Avet offered to put the larger, longer LX/HX with my concern about The SXMC 5:3 ratio. I have an older MXL 6:1 that sits on the shelf because of the higher ratio. Maxel does make Lefties. How do you like yours? Having a good season so far I hope
?

Last edited by Fishfish; 12-11-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Fish, I haven't had a chance to even use the maxel reels yet. I owned a couple JM reels, sold them, turned around and bought the maxel. I seem to go back to the saltist for deep seabass and blackfish.

I like the JDM reels too, they seem to offer more options than the U.S. versions we have access to here.

You can also take the questions of repair and if someone has one for sale to the site 360tuna. Those guys use a JDM reels.

Personally I have no problem considering a JDM reel with concerns of repairs. I don't abuse my stuff. I had accurate take months to get a reel back to me and they are US based.