NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Drifting Albie 268 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-05-2023, 10:57 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Drifting Albie 268

Hey Guys,
How bad does the 268 Express roll on the drift?
21 degree - Merc 8.1 I/O
Raritan Bay/Off Sandy Hook/Down the beach fluking & jigging stripers.
By all accounts great head sea boat, but not goin offshore. Well not much more then 3 miles

Thx
Old 10-06-2023, 09:50 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Drifting Albie 268

We had a 25 foot Carolina Classic which is very similar to the Albie but 24 degree deadrise... Drifting is not the strong suit of this or any other deep v hull since they usually beam drift and they roll pretty good. You can however run in stuff that will keep others tied to the dock.

If your use case is running a few miles from the dock and drifting, not the best hull for this.

I'd also recommend you stay away from anything with Volvo power since the 7.4 and 8.1s had water ingestion issues. We replaced 4 Volvo engines that all failed at around 100 hours. They suck raw water in through the valves, the salt eventually crystallizes on the valve stem, the valve sticks and the engine is toast.

I would also assume this is a jackshaft I/O which sounds like a great design on paper but they require a lot of additional maintenance and would be my last choice for power options.

I'd keep on looking if I were you... Many better choices out there for your use case but if you’re settle on an Albie or Carolina classic you want straight inboard and if a gasser you want a Crusader engine. The exhaust system on the Crusaders are designed differently and no water ingestion issues with them.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 10-06-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-07-2023, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry, I appreciate you getting right to the point.

Water ingestion was another concern and good input on the gas engine models/jackshaft. I read good and bad about both. I can't see models with outboard conversion helping with the roll. The 268 appears to be "right size" for one-man ops + the family side of things (Putzing in the Navesink, cockpit for seating, enclosed head).

In this size range any suggestions? I don't think a cc will work. I like the pilot house - Parker, Steiger but little too $$$. I like the NorthCoast but can't find too much performance info and at 10 degrees I see knocking your fillings out in the bay with a good West wind. There aren't many 23-25 with 18 degree option.

I'm worried anything bigger (Small flybridge) and the one-man show would be challenging. Nothing will be perfect and there will be compromise. I'm okay with older models that have been cared for. Thanks again -
Old 10-07-2023, 03:23 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'd be searching for good quality brand older cuddy outboard boats like Grady White, Pursuit or Hydrasports. You might be able to find one that's been repowered or one that needs to be repowered on the cheap.

I'd also be looking for a single outboard rather than twins to keep your maintenance costs down.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-08-2023, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry, appreciate the insights
Old 10-18-2023, 06:31 AM