NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Safe ice reports? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-19-2020, 12:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Safe ice reports?

Any reports of safe ice in north Jersey? Got all these new toys last year and never got to use em. New sled.. auger.. jigging rods... sonar.. etc...
Anxious to get out there.....
TY in Advance for reports and/or suggestions.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Safe ice reports?

I believe that's one of our members there? Eddie?
New Jersey | Top Ice Fishing Spots - On The Water
https://www.onthewater.com/new-jerse...-fishing-spots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201219-010741_Chrome.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	146919  
Old 12-19-2020, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Don't believe the ice will have snow on it, so these tips I'll link to will help. Can't get out tomorrow and feel the let down. Looking forward to some. Sharpened my auger blades.

https://www.onthewater.com/ice-fishi...s-first-freeze
Old 12-19-2020, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I burned 50 bucks in gas today checking early ice spots. There’s some ice out there but there’s also open water close by! I know what’s frozen when temps like this come around but can’t tell anyone to get out there. We are still at the always sketchy beginning of ice season. Whatever your decision is be safe and don’t go alone. Make sure you have your safety gear at hand. I’ve fallen in over my head twice in my life. It’s not a good feeling at all! Thankfully I got pulled out the 1st time! The 2nd time I pulled myself out and it was the longest ride home ever! I was wrapped in a blanket driving down rt 80 with nothing on underneath! This was when I had my 89’ Ford Bronco! People were staring at me wondering why I wasn’t wearing a shirt while driving in December...... Ahhhhhhggggg, memories! Make sure you always have extra clothes with you. Driving hime naked in a small blanket in December in NJ is kinda frowned upon! LMAO! If you have more questions shoot me a PM!
Old 12-19-2020, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
I burned 50 bucks in gas today checking early ice spots. There’s some ice out there but there’s also open water close by! I know what’s frozen when temps like this come around but can’t tell anyone to get out there. We are still at the always sketchy beginning of ice season. Whatever your decision is be safe and don’t go alone. Make sure you have your safety gear at hand. I’ve fallen in over my head twice in my life. It’s not a good feeling at all! Thankfully I got pulled out the 1st time! The 2nd time I pulled myself out and it was the longest ride home ever! I was wrapped in a blanket driving down rt 80 with nothing on underneath! This was when I had my 89’ Ford Bronco! People were staring at me wondering why I wasn’t wearing a shirt while driving in December...... Ahhhhhhggggg, memories! Make sure you always have extra clothes with you. Driving hime naked in a small blanket in December in NJ is kinda frowned upon! LMAO! If you have more questions shoot me a PM!
yikes that is a scary mental picture eddie driving in a bronco cold with nothing on but a blanket at least he did not have half of the nj state police following him on tv like he said be very careful always use a spud bar to inspect the ice as you go, a pfd might not be a bad idea as well. picks are a must this time of the season.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Checked my spot this morning, 10 minutes from Del water gap, way to much open water showing for me to chance it.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It's good to be remined about safety. And to hear a funny story from Eddie about what we try to avoid! I posted on my blog yesterday & forgot to mention safety. Going into edit function & giving it word.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:21 PM
Site Sponsor

Me and eddie were on Budd this morning for the most part solid 5" be safe if your heading out and enjoy it while you can.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 12-20-2020, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice thickness. I heard the temp was supposed to go down to 9 last night. Shame that last I saw forecast, mild weather is coming.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:41 PM
dakota560

Guys as others have said, make smart decisions especially this time of year. There's some relatively mild weather forecast this upcoming weeks so whatever ice there is it's going to be a bit sketchy. Thing to keep in mind is make your own decisions based on what your gut tells you but please be aware of your surroundings for small children who might see you on the ice and assume it's safe. Adults for the most part know better, children don't. Don't be the reason a small child walks out on unsafe ice and makes the ultimate bad decision.