NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rod repair course? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-17-2020, 06:35 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Rod repair course?

I am toying with the idea of starting a side business repairing fishing rods (not really interested in designing custom rods). Can anyone suggest a class or program where I can get these skills? A Google search says there are some classroom courses in Florida (not opposed to a road trip if that's what it takes) and even an online course, but looking for some real-life recommendations. I don't think there are any shops where I live where I can do an "apprenticeship". Also, just an FYI, I don't live in NJ, not looking to take away anyone's livelihood, just looking for a retirement gig where I can stay in touch with other sportsmen & make a few bucks. TIA!
Old 12-19-2020, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rod repair course?

Before the corona constraints, Mudhole Custom Tackle did a rod building "tour" consisting of weekend seminars at about a dozen or so locations around the country. Looks like right now they're doing virtual and in person classes only at their home base in Oviedo, FL. If you don't want to wait until corona blows over, you can find alot of great info on you tube and at Rodbuilding.org. Just be careful...it can be as addicting as fishing...
Old 12-19-2020, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rod repair course?

Uncle Nicky, I had the honor of learning to build rods under the tutelage of Bill Stroud in San Diego back in the 70's. I stopped building/repairing rods for profit due to the fact that a lot of customers were not willing to pay what the job was worth. The margin can be pretty thin.
The internet has pretty much anything you will need to know to learn how to do it. Until covid restrictions go away you are stuck. You could start by doing simple guide/tip top replacement and expand from there as you learn. Good luck.