NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hard Core Carp - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Hard Core Carp

Any hard core carp guys on here? I'm talking hair rigs, pack bait and method weights. Just starting to learn after I happened on a spot just loaded with them with some real brutes mixed in. Looking to pick your brain in exchange for some information.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hard Core Carp

Yes... There are 2 baits they will hit instantly, and not ever be picky about.. First is soft shelled crayfish, if you can ever find a few.. Look under enough rocks and they are there.. Regular small hard shelled crayfish are good as well, but nothing like soft ones.. Also hellgramites.. they run straight at them, and nail them instantly,,

Another good bait is instant oatmeal... Right from the box, you mix it with a little water until its thick and gluey, and toss it out.. It doesn't last long but carp like it better than dough bait..
Old 07-02-2019, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im not hardcore, but I was successful with whole kernel corn on a small size 4 baitholder hook with a single split shot.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you want to learn more, feel free to join us on Delaware River.

Mostly we stick to generations tested european methods. Set up includes a version of umbrella rig with a weighted spring that acts as a chum device. I don't really know an English name for it and never seen them being sold here unless you happen upon an european owned bait store.

For bait we use whole corn kernels and for chum as mentioned already oatmeal cooked with corn flour and corn kernels and having croutons mixed in so it wont fall apart quickly.

Works as magic.

Andre
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've tried the European baits, hair rigs, etc. and I've had way better luck on a combination of cracked corn and oats as chum, oats and corn as pack bait and a puff rig with some flavor or scent on the puff. Someone who knows a thing or two turned me onto this style of fishing. And you can get all your bait at Shop-Rite and save a lot of money. Hook-ups on a puff rig can be near 100% if you snell the hook. I snell with a single Uni-knot (check it out on YouTube) because I don't like snell knots. I used to fish places where the carp were spooky and I swear the hair rig turned them off. I use 12-foot rods in tidal water and have 8- to 10-feet of 30-lb P-Line Fluorocarbon to my 50-lb braid mainline with an Alberto knot to add abrasion resistance and eliminate any fear of fish being line shy. I've found there's nothing more valuable than just keeping at it. I skunked so many times and now I have my system down. I have a spot I found on Google Maps, I cleared out with machetes and I expect to get a half-dozen or more fish every time I go out with at least 2 or 3 over 20lbs. Put in the time and tweak your methods and it will all come together one day. And I always use method weights.

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 07-03-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-03-2019, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This catfishonthelake guy knows what he’s talking about 😉 I would add always use a lead at least 3oz even in lakes, and make sure your hooks are super sharp before each cast. Hooks40, I sent you a PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Aside from the main tactics the carp sharpies above are talking about, keep an eye out for mulberry trees. If you see one at waters edge, put a couple ripe berries on a size 6 hook, add a couple of split shot, and toss it in not far from the tree. It's almost a sure thing.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 07-10-2019, 01:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the input. Never knew the depth of the carp following out there. Did some research and ordered some gear, which will come soon. I have some baits and chums researched as well. I'll check back in later in the summer and let you know if any of it worked.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Why do you use a 3oz lead? What is the purpose of a weight that heavy?

I ordered some method weights, but not that big.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm going to assume, esp knowing what SaxMatt uses, that he uses a larger weight because it's easier to mold a big ball of pack bait around. This is what I use, they're long and flat and I can mold a softball-size ball of oat pack onto it as long as it's the right consistency (not too dry that it falls off and not too wet that it doesn't break down in the water). You can find 1-oz versions of these somewhere that I've used for pond fishing, but I fish only tidal rivers now so I don't go less than 2-ounces. I've never used other method feeders but lots of people do. I've just always found these easy.

https://wackerbaits.com/collections/...feeder-60g-2oz