NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Partyboat Swords?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Partyboat Swords??

I thought maybe someone with some experience would post information that would help a fisherman target swordfish on an overnight partyboat tuna trip?? I have seen guys targeting swords and would like to give it a try next year. What gear, lines, tackle, and tecnique would you recomended??
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Partyboat Swords??

There is a forum called swordfishingcentral, spend some time reading it.also do search feature on this forum, google,
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

50w reel minimun 80s are better if your looking to just sword fish.

Leader about 10ft-20ft of 200-300lb leader depending on what you prefer, whole squid, macks, combo, whatever bait you are using on the boat, make sure it swims and does not spin around. I like to use a weight that is held on by a rubber band so once the fish gets going it will usually bust off and then its just your rod tip directly to the fish!

Enough weight to get down deep, and put it as deep as you can.

My 50 alutecnos reels have 130lb power pro hollow core backing about 200yds, and then 1000yds of 80lb on top, you can also add yourself a windon or top shot to any set up you have.

Add a LP light or a glow stick and send it down deep deep deep, add a bloon to float it, and send it out.

Keep an eye on it, i have seen swords take off like missles, i have seen them come straight at the boat and not know it is on the line until it almost runs into the side of the boat, and then sometimes you will just see them eat your bait and swim to the surface and swim around out of the lights and you will just see your glow stick moving around out there and slack in your line. In that case reel tight and your on! Also use large circle hooks, make deadsticking a ton easier when they take the bait you really dont have to feed them.

Sure a bunch of other guys have a ton more info to help you out, but that should get you started.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

swordfish=pain They can be easy or beat you up.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Talking Re: Partyboat Swords??

I would have to say pain.i worked on a pb for many years and did many 24 and 32 hr offshore trips.i recall one time we had hooked a sword around 3am and fought the fish for many hrs going up and dwn one side if the boat probably 30 times eliminating any other anglers from fishing that side.it is a cool thing to see a 300lb sword but they are one of the hardest fighting fish out there and if your not with heavy enough tackle you shouldnt swordfish on a pb. im talking 80-130 reel. but hey what do i know.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the info. I know that on a PB, gear has to be heavy enough to land the fish from a stationary platform, no chasing the fish! I landed my first YFT on a PB this year, and thanks to heavy gear I was able to land the fish quickly and without tangles. Swords can be another story. Ballon is added after bait has reached desired depth? Light is hooked where leader meets mainline? If large squid are not availabe, several smaller live squid OK?

Last edited by Chico; 10-28-2010 at 07:45 PM..