NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Stocker Gone Wild!?! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Stocker Gone Wild!?!

Took my pops out to do some trout fishing on Saturday for Father's day since I had to work Sunday. Hit the water around 7:30 and soon after I hooked into a decent fish. Hit hard and fought well with some acrobatics. Once I got em in I noticed it was a pretty unusual looking brownie. Front end looked wild, back end was very bland, and it had some real nices blue hues coming in. Thought it was a tiger for a minute but I'm thinking maybe it's just a stocker gone wild? Either way, it was my catch of the day!!

Unfortunately the day wasn't action packed. Once the sun was up over the water the trout seemed to lay low but the smallies turned on. Dad got got a few river smallies and I got the one trout and one decent smallies. Eh, wasn't great fishing but we still had a great day. Stopped for lunch on the way home and I bought him a pint........ Or, a few.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_082604918.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	124160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_082602182.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	124161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_082534490.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	124162  

Last edited by NorthJerzyG; 06-18-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Stocker Gone Wild!?!

well done lads.. a great day with your dad on the river priceless. that brown trout is interesting never seen a trout with that color pattern before you are probably correct on the assumption of it going wild it might have something to do with what it is eating and genetics.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Stocker Gone Wild!?!

Looks like a club fish that’s been in the river for a little bit possibly. Still a good fish in my opinion!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Now that's how to treat your dad on Fathers day! Very nicely Done! Cool trout too. I don't know how you catch them on those Rapalas though. Been throwin those things for a few years now and never got a damn thing on them...same exact color and size both floating and count down as you have in your picture. Must be the waters i'm fishin as it can't possibly be my fault.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beautiful fish, man. Good thing smallmouth exist, they fill in the gap when conditions arent right for trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch View Post
Now that's how to treat your dad on Fathers day! Very nicely Done! Cool trout too. I don't know how you catch them on those Rapalas though. Been throwin those things for a few years now and never got a damn thing on them...same exact color and size both floating and count down as you have in your picture. Must be the waters i'm fishin as it can't possibly be my fault.
Very slow retrievals, sometimes just laying it in fast water while you hold it upstream, not touching the reel, have worked for me along the raritan and its branches.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

+1 All about the technique.

Sometimes I like floaters better in fast shallow or slower water. What I like best is the option to cast or not. If it's tight, j can just flip it out and let it float down while I feed it line. Once it's in the desired spot I flip the bail and start to retreive it. Sometimes I even catch em topwater on the "drift" downstream!!

For faster or deeper areas, I go with the CD to get down to the fish. Then I just experiment with different retrievals. Steady, erratic, fast, slow, stationary in the current. All work at times, but some better than others. Also, experiment with different sizes depending on the size of fish you are after........