NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thoughts of this past year... and plans for the upcoming season??? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-27-2019, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Thoughts of this past year... and plans for the upcoming season???

We did land this beast end of August. Over 14.5' feet fork length. Hour and change on the rod. Backed down on her 3.5 miles. Wrecked an 80w. Had to get the whole reel rebuilt. Insane experience... prob over #800. Learned a lot... like Pittman leader is indestructible lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190802-181750_Video_Player1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	139632  

Last edited by Jigman13; 12-27-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 12-27-2019, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
We need land this beast end of August. Over 14.5' feet fork length. Hour and change on the rod. Backed down on her 3.5 miles. Wrecked an 80w. Had to get the whole reel rebuilt. Insane experience... prob over #800. Learned a lot... like Pittman leader is indestructible lol.
Insane!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
You got your work cut out for ya! I love it! I thought you got a hybrid that day ???? I’ll get you out in the summer and help out with scratching that one off your list,
I hooked him and got him to the boat, but my drag was too tight and the hook popped right as Squatch grabbed the net. A heartbreaker for sure, but lesson learned! Sounds good man, can't wait!

Last edited by Hookmanski; 12-27-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-27-2019, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
You did great Luke, I remember you a few years back and now... dude you figured a lot of stuff out very quickly- I LOVE IT!!! Great catching man👊🏻
Yessir thanks, figuring out the fish is a lot of fun, part of my motivation to keep fishing. The site and guys here helped me out plenty too.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts of this past year... and plans for the upcoming season???

It was a great year and I’m not getting out as much as I used too. I get up and go when I can and when I go I’m lucky enough to catch something.

I don’t do the goal thing. It’s not a thought in my mind. I just fish! LOL! If I had a goal I guess it’s to go on some more out of state trips during the course of the year. Not sure it will happen. I’m pretty content with the variety of fish NJ has to offer. Gotta love our little state. We’ve got it pretty good here despite being an over populated area of the world. TIGHT LINEZ!!!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

2019 was the year I finally committed to staying in freshwater from prespawn to winter, and stuck with just a few lakes to trace the patterns and only a handful of techniques, really honing them until I understood the details inside and out. My singular focus was to land as many big smallies as possible, and to that end I cannot be more satisfied: over a dozen bronzebacks past the 20" mark, a couple that pushed 22", and countless 3lbers throughout the year.

Prior to 2019 my biggest smallie was maybe 15"? My first 18" fish back in April almost tipped me from the kayak I got so excited.

One lesson I took away from all the finesse fishing this year: 5lb/6lb floro is a different animal from anything I've used in saltwater. If you land a 4lber you better retie that knot. And your gear better be in tiptop shape...when a big smallie sounds one second then torpedoes out of the water the next...that's why people spend $$$ on spinning reels with good drag systems.

Did sneak away for a few fluke trips, but fluking has steadily declined inshore. The patterns from just 3 years ago are no longer holding, but I don't mind bc I've spent enough of my fishing life chasing flatfish lol. The Fall freshwater bite kept me from going togging, and that was a much more difficult decision. Ultimately the bronze won over the black, and I have no regrets!

For 2020 I want to capitalize on more moving/reaction bait bites during prespawn. I had a few good jerkbait days this year but crankbait/spinnerbait/power fishing in general is not very easy to do well from a kayak, esp in the wind (which is when I would be throwing them!)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

2019 was very good to me. I started to get a good handle on catching big smallies out of the Raritan River. Most years catching just one at 18+ inches was a good year. In 2019, I caught four. That may not seem like much, but I only fished the Raritan for smallies about a dozen times this year. I credit my success to figuring out the best way to fish tubes in that river, which is what I did most of my damage on.

I also took advantage of my proximity to the beach to do a lot of summertime saltwater fishing. I still can't catch a striper from the surf to save my life, but I had an absolute blast catching all the summer species right off the bathing beaches in the early morning. Unfortunately the crowds would push me off the beach by 8:00 some mornings, so often I left the fish biting. Catching short fluke and snapper blues on light gear is one of the most fun things I have ever done.

2019 was also the first year I ever fished from a kayak. I only took it out once, and I can certainly see the appeal of it. Unfortunately I don't think the kayak I got is optimized for fishing (even though it was marketed as a fishing kayak), so I may need to upgrade if I really want to get into it.

As for 2020, it will be about one thing: going up to the new place as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747r.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	139637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2751r.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	139638  
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 12-30-2019, 08:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
As for 2020, it will be about one thing: going up to the new place as much as possible.
That's going to be one awesome cabin. Congrats man! Bet you can't wait to spend more time there.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is a great thread.

My 2020 goals are to:

1). Share and post more on njfishing.com.
2) focus on fishing “new” lakes by boat Merril, aeroflex, wawayanda
3) catch landlocked salmon
4) catch a flathead catfish
5) become more consistent catching trout on artificials
6) get my daughters more into fishing
7) keep taking my son fishing
8). Everett’s goal is to catch a tiger trout - maybe someone has some tips/advice?
I never encounter these guys

2019 recap

1) took my son on several fall shore fishing trips to RVR and he caught (assisted) his 1st rainbow from shore. Biggest went 21”
2) caught my 1st walleye.
3) caught my 1st big walleye - approx 28”
4) caught my 1st striped bass in fw
5) at least half of my trips were with 1 or more of my kids

When I get a chance I’ll post some pics in the other 2019 catch thread
Old 12-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax2244 View Post
This is a great thread.

My 2020 goals are to:

1). Share and post more on njfishing.com.
2) focus on fishing “new” lakes by boat Merril, aeroflex, wawayanda
3) catch landlocked salmon
4) catch a flathead catfish
5) become more consistent catching trout on artificials
6) get my daughters more into fishing
7) keep taking my son fishing
8). Everett’s goal is to catch a tiger trout - maybe someone has some tips/advice?
I never encounter these guys

2019 recap

1) took my son on several fall shore fishing trips to RVR and he caught (assisted) his 1st rainbow from shore. Biggest went 21”
2) caught my 1st walleye.
3) caught my 1st big walleye - approx 28”
4) caught my 1st striped bass in fw
5) at least half of my trips were with 1 or more of my kids

When I get a chance I’ll post some pics in the other 2019 catch thread
Great stuff!!! That’s a beautiful first big walleye man, your don’t see to many of these kids intrested in wanting anything to do with outdoors anymore far and few in between!!! Kudos to you keeping the kids involved any info you need to keep these kids on the meat you let me know I’ll help you as much as I can... and you want a tiger there’s plenty in the valley from we stocked with the club back in April, good luck
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423

Last edited by Mikey topaz; 01-06-2020 at 06:08 PM..