NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Barbour Pond Winter Trout - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-16-2019, 03:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Barbour Pond Winter Trout

Headed to Barbour Pond after work on Friday and fished from 4 pm until dark despite the cold drizzle. Fished underneath the cliffs with a pink trout magnet and was hooking trout almost every cast. I landed 4-5 and lost just as many mostly because I didn’t have a net with me and getting the fish on dry land was problematic. No pics to share, since I didn’t have a net I wanted to get fish back in the water as quickly as possible. If you can’t make it to one NJ’s rivers that were stocked in the fall I definitely recommend checking out one of the ponds that received winter stockies.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Barbour Pond Winter Trout

I dont believe it, any fish coming out of Barbours pond I guess it's good fished in the winter.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Site Sponsor

Nice!!!

Any of those recently stocked lake should be pretty good now and in a few weeks come ice season,
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 12-16-2019, 09:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Barbour Pond Winter Trout

Winter stocked fish basically sit in the area they are stocked for the most part. Especially Rainbows. I have pictures of myself and a very good friend catching winter Bows at the boat ramp on Little Swartswood from 20 years ago. And these trips were mostly in late January, February! The fish just seemed to bunker down in the areas they were stocked. This was the case at Aeroflex a bunch of times as well. Kastmaster and mealworm on the jigging rod, orange power cheese on the tip-ups, LOL!

Great catching Logs! The fish they put in the lakes in the winter are absolute fat pigs! Gotta love it!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
I dont believe it, any fish coming out of Barbours pond I guess it's good fished in the winter.
What he said!!! We were both just saying how we never did well at Barbours, glad to see someone is!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
What he said!!! We were both just saying how we never did well at Barbours, glad to see someone is!
This is the first time I have ever pulled anything out of Barbour pond! In warmer weather I don’t even bother, instead I hit up the pond in the center of a nearby office park (right across from the FBI field office) which has great largemouth fishing. Have been told fishing not allowed there but I have fished the pond at least two dozen times and have never had an issue.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good job! only issue is that as the water gets colder it takes the fight right out of these fish. Ones I caught a few weeks back in the Ramapo fought like tumbling dish towels
Old 12-18-2019, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT67 View Post
Good job! only issue is that as the water gets colder it takes the fight right out of these fish. Ones I caught a few weeks back in the Ramapo fought like tumbling dish towels
Ha. Ditto. These were probably even more sluggish with no current to keep them semi active.