NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lmb's still chewin - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 PM
dakota560

Default Lmb's still chewin

Had a quick hour or so to kill this morning and wanted to get my buddy in on the lmb bite the last few days. Action was a little slower but landed 10 or so with my Mike landing most and me basically being his camera man. More males today but females as the temps increased started chewing when we had to leave. Was setting up to be another really good day but we unfortunately we both had limited time. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_071208.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	140763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_082344.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	140764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_073242.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	140765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_073937.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	140766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_074218.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	140767  

Name:	IMG_20200502_073252.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	140768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200502_081651.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	140769  
Old 05-02-2020, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Lmb's still chewin

You are on fire Tom. You are the Mike Iaconelli of north Jersey. All kidding aside I'm very happy to see you getting out in these tough times.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:53 PM
dakota560

Brew that's my buddy Mike in the pics. He had the Mike Iaconelli hot hand today. I was more like Martin Scorcese today. Mike was fishing the inside edge of the weed line, I concentrated on the outside edge and either the females moved out deeper which I don't think was the case or had lock jaw for some reason. Today was the earliest I fished recently and I think as the sun came up the bite was going to break open. Started seeing some surface action and bait moving around but unfortunately it was a short trip and we both had to leave. Same technique, 4" Keitech paddle tails slow retrieved on a 1/4 oz ball jig with an occasional twitching motion. All real healthy fish and all released. Definitely nice to get out during these difficult times.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Lmb's still chewin

Good looking fish! Keep up on the hot Bassin’!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 05:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

those are nice bass and you guys are wading for them that is good stuff right there cool report. those ball jigs can do some damage on the bass they can be fished so many different ways. does the color of the head matter on those fish that you guys were on?
Old 05-03-2020, 07:03 PM
dakota560

Alex I agree they're deadly baits when you have enough water to fish them properly. And yes all three reports the last week or so were wading from shore. Definitely helps cut down on the cost of gas, slip rental and insurance! Didn't change up the jig head much so not sure how much difference the jig color made, I suspect very little but can't say for sure since I didn't mix it up. You can see from the pictures, I used mostly combinations of white, chartreuse and yellow, brighter colors. Lighter colored Keitechs seemed to work better and ones with silver glitter even more so. All paddle tails. If the water was skinnier, split tails would have worked just as well with a plain hook inside and a small nail cut to maybe a 1/2" inserted in the nose of the plastic. Different way of fishing plastics when you have bait fish pushed into skinny water. In those cases, no steady retrieve just twitch, stop and repeat type retrieve. The nail makes it darts erratically like a wounded bait fish. Vert effective way to fish shallows or areas with high weed cover when weighted plastics can't be fished.

Fwiw, the Keitech I had the most luck with were the two shown below, 4" Easy Shiner Pro Blue / Red Pearl and even more the 4" Easy Shiner Sight Flash. To get more mileage from each, after a few fish or a pickerel ripped one up, I'd cut off an inch or so from the head and they worked just as well and when that got ripped up I turned the plastic upside down (belly up) to thread the ball jig and each worked equally well. Just a way of getting a lot more mileage out of each plastic. As long as the tail gives off that vibrating paddle movement and the plastic sits straight on the hook shank and swims straight, it works. Don't bunch up the plastic head on the hook shank, seems to impact effectiveness of the presentation.

Badger back to your point, they're great baits. Have done well with lmb, smb, and walleye on this presentation. Always keep a few packs on hand.

One other point, if there's bait around, seems like a higher water column retrieve worked best. Cast and as soon as the bait hits the water, start a slow retrieve. Fish right now with colder water wanted the retrieve slow. If the sun gets high or bait disappears or goes deep, work the weed edges so cast, give the jig head 5 seconds or so to drop and then start your retrieve the same way. You'd be surprised how the fish move within a short period of time based on sunlight, bait movement and even wind conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	-5199579097299172770.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	140784   Click image for larger version

Name:	-8739859229829551128.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	140785  

Last edited by dakota560; 05-03-2020 at 07:24 PM..
Old 05-03-2020, 10:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Alex I agree they're deadly baits when you have enough water to fish them properly. And yes all three reports the last week or so were wading from shore. Definitely helps cut down on the cost of gas, slip rental and insurance! Didn't change up the jig head much so not sure how much difference the jig color made, I suspect very little but can't say for sure since I didn't mix it up. You can see from the pictures, I used mostly combinations of white, chartreuse and yellow, brighter colors. Lighter colored Keitechs seemed to work better and ones with silver glitter even more so. All paddle tails. If the water was skinnier, split tails would have worked just as well with a plain hook inside and a small nail cut to maybe a 1/2" inserted in the nose of the plastic. Different way of fishing plastics when you have bait fish pushed into skinny water. In those cases, no steady retrieve just twitch, stop and repeat type retrieve. The nail makes it darts erratically like a wounded bait fish. Vert effective way to fish shallows or areas with high weed cover when weighted plastics can't be fished.

Fwiw, the Keitech I had the most luck with were the two shown below, 4" Easy Shiner Pro Blue / Red Pearl and even more the 4" Easy Shiner Sight Flash. To get more mileage from each, after a few fish or a pickerel ripped one up, I'd cut off an inch or so from the head and they worked just as well and when that got ripped up I turned the plastic upside down (belly up) to thread the ball jig and each worked equally well. Just a way of getting a lot more mileage out of each plastic. As long as the tail gives off that vibrating paddle movement and the plastic sits straight on the hook shank and swims straight, it works. Don't bunch up the plastic head on the hook shank, seems to impact effectiveness of the presentation.

Badger back to your point, they're great baits. Have done well with lmb, smb, and walleye on this presentation. Always keep a few packs on hand.

One other point, if there's bait around, seems like a higher water column retrieve worked best. Cast and as soon as the bait hits the water, start a slow retrieve. Fish right now with colder water wanted the retrieve slow. If the sun gets high or bait disappears or goes deep, work the weed edges so cast, give the jig head 5 seconds or so to drop and then start your retrieve the same way. You'd be surprised how the fish move within a short period of time based on sunlight, bait movement and even wind conditions.
I definitely agree on the method of retrieve and the depth you fish based on the time of day.. The color of the ones in the first photo is like the color that i use for the crappies with a orange/flo green head in 1/8 oz size with a forked tail.