NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

stringer of hog smallies - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default stringer of hog smallies

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum...hs-biting.html

this guy posted pics last year of a couple stringers full of 3-6 lb pre spawn smallies...what is everyone's thoughts on keeping pre spawn breeder bass or any breeder sized bass for that matter??

I have no problem with keeping fish if you need to feed your family...but i feel you should stick with the 13" - 18" bass...don't be putting 20" plus bass on your stringer...brutal
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: stringer of hog smallies

You know the answer. Did he break the law ?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: stringer of hog smallies

I catch SMB by the millions up here in the Susquehanna River.. In all honesty, I have had afternoons when I caught 25-30 or more in a few hours... The river is crawling with them in some spots.. I might take 2 or 3 SMB home in a year.. I guess its allright to take a bass now and then, I do once in a while, but something about advertising your catch dangling on a string like they did in 1960 bothers me.... bob
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

actually he probably was breaking the law as this guy self admittadly fishes some off limits reservoirs in the newark watershed
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sickening! I hope that's enough... Freshwater is for fishing , we are here by saltwater... Now that's some good eating, but to each their own. I have had gut hooked lmb, not to bad..., but I want quality fish to keep up the stock. If I am going to take a fw fish it's either stocked in spring or no chance it will make it cause the hook went too deep, and I don't believe the rust out in a week deal... In fresh water at least.

It's spawning time... Wtf!! That's where I'm gettin
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If what a person is doing is legal, then nothing negative should be said. It alienates people and starts sh**. If you would like to talk about the advantages of catch and release or not taking pre spawn fish. Do it in a separate thread without singling someone out who is obeying the rules, they may read it or lobby the F&G to change the rules, they may change them.

Last edited by flatcreek; 03-13-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfish82
3-6 lb pre spawn smallies...what is everyone's thoughts on keeping pre spawn breeder bass or any breeder sized bass for that matter??
My answer to the question is that there are regulations in support of pre-spawn bass. For LMB and SMB, if I am reading my FW digest correctly, April 15 to June 15 is catch and release ONLY in all waters. While there are size and daily limits, keeping within the bounds of these are fair game and acceptable. Although I personally practice catch and release for all FW species, I respect the right of others to keep their legal catch; however, I have the F&G phone number on my cell phone in the event that I see violations which I would report posthaste.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's getting old already, If the guy caught the bass and they were legal by all F&G rules/regs then he's entitled to keep them if he so chooses to. You may chose to release every single fish you catch and that's your choice! I release ALMOST ALL of the fish i catch except occasionally I will take a few for to eat and I don't think it's anybody's business if i chose to do so. Stop the whinning about it!!!!!! and go get your nails done!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'm going to have to side with the regulations. If there was a problem with the bass population I think fish and game would do something about it.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Really????? Were Back To This.there Are Fish To Be Caught