NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Any luck at Round Valley - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Any luck at Round Valley

Just wondering if anyone has tried hitting the valley with any luck...I really want to go drown some shiners if its worth it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Any luck at Round Valley

I fished the Valley from 1 PM - 4 PM on Sunday 3/10 from shore. Waded and threw yo-zuri pins magnet minnows. Not a touch. A lot of people fishing the shorelines and a handful of boaters fishing too. Heard one guy that was anchored up scream at the top of his lungs across the entire lake that he caught a laker. It was pretty hilarious. I could see his boat from where I was standing and hardly noticed them pull anything up--must've been small lol.

Any how... It was a nice day. Too bad nothing tugged on the end of my line...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gotta love that! No bumps eh...i havent drowned a shiner there in a while might give it hell if this rain lets up early
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was out from shore on sunday for about 6 hours and managed one nice bow about 17 inches. Last week was out from shore for about 4 hours and nailed 4 nice browns during the storm. All on a silver and black heddon floating stickbait. My advice would be if you can take a yak or any small boat and park on the south or east shore and fish those shorelines they are soooo less pressured you will do much better than your standard boat launch areas.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the advice rock...topwater eh? might go try it...suns popping thru now
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Actually i was just reeling in at a slow retreave which has the bait swimming a few feet under the surface. Just a strait retreave no jerking or anything pretty damn simple just gotta get lucky and run it by some fish snd they should hit.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That'd be nice! Seems like that whole north and west shoreline is heavily trafficked. Helluva long walk to the shorelines east and south!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Park it and walk..... from the main park entrance head toward the campers boat launch and walk till your hearts desires from there.....There are plenty of ppl that walk to there campsites from here....Bout a mile walk from parking lot to far side of south dam....Just cannot fish from the either north or south dams riprap surroundings.....But other than the dams you can fish around the entire reservoir on foot , during operating hours....Only the main boat launch area can be fished from shore 24/7...

There are a few select ppl that walk over the mountain on the south side....They of course know somebody with a house on the south side...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was looking at a map and noticed the privatized areas on the south end. Is there no way back there w/o trespassing on someones property?

I park by the 2nd launch back by the ranger boat dock and huff it along the back. I'm not opposed to the walk...it's just a ton of ground to cover and lots of very shallow water along some of those shorelines. I never ventured far enough to reach the western dam or beyond.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The eastern shoreline, where the wilderness campsites are, is a long hike up & in from this Hunt. Co. Park on the north side:
http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/depts/...etunk/info.htm

And, you are not supposed to access RVR state park from the above county park, but nobody has ever bothered me. I see a few hikers, Mtn. bikers, but rarely any anglers.

I usually do the best when the wind is right in my face, out of the NW,….the stronger, the better.