NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Shark River area marina questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Shark River area marina questions

Hopefully you can educate me here... I'm boat shopping and have some questions about keeping a 30-36' (yes, I'm hoping to convince my wife the 36' is the right size because it's "safer") center console in the Shark River. I also have some general marina questions given that myself, my father and all of my uncles have always all trailered our boats so have no marina experience.

I read up on this thread: http://www.njfishing.com/forums/show...k+river+marina

And wondered:
- How annoying is it to keep your boat at a marina west of the rt 71 bridge?
- Is there just the one marina east of the rt 71 bridge that I see on google earth? I've always fished out of raritan bay or barnegat bay so I'm not super familiar with the area.
- For concerns about storms and if I don't plan on having a trailer for the boat, I assume a marina with rack storage is a must?
- What else should I be thinking about here?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Rightaway III

Default Re: Shark River area marina questions

Give Rob from Seaport Inlet Marina a call. 732 681 3303. He runs a 1st class facility.
Capt Ed
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you are familiar with Raritan Bay, why not look at Atlantic Highlands- Highlands area. Better fishing choices plus crabbing.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Rob from Seaport as stated above.. First Class Facility, and great guy.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks all for the responses, I'm going to give Rob from Seaport a call today!

I'd keep the boat at the highlands but I'll be primarily using it on the weekends either with a full day offshore or two inshore trips, one short (2-4hrs) trip in the early morning and one later in the day. That summer traffic from the shark river area up to the highlands and back again is no beuno depending on time of day. The deal with the admiral is that we get a shore house and a boat. Given where i live it would be cheapest for me to not get a shore house, and buy a 40' cc with quads and keep it in keyport and spend the rest on gas, but life is all about compromises
Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you stay in the Raritan Bay area. I can't say enough good things about Monmouth Cove Marina. Well protected and only minutes from open ocean. been there for 14 years
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Or get a boat with a cabin and toilet. Shore power and AC/Heat. And use that as a shore house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp2101 View Post
Thanks all for the responses, I'm going to give Rob from Seaport a call today!

I'd keep the boat at the highlands but I'll be primarily using it on the weekends either with a full day offshore or two inshore trips, one short (2-4hrs) trip in the early morning and one later in the day. That summer traffic from the shark river area up to the highlands and back again is no beuno depending on time of day. The deal with the admiral is that we get a shore house and a boat. Given where i live it would be cheapest for me to not get a shore house, and buy a 40' cc with quads and keep it in keyport and spend the rest on gas, but life is all about compromises
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I ran a 25' foot Grady WA out of Shark River Hills and AP's Marina just east of 71 Bridge for years. If you can not do ocean, that river is worse than pathetic next to Raritan Bay for fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygaff View Post
If you stay in the Raritan Bay area. I can't say enough good things about Monmouth Cove Marina. Well protected and only minutes from open ocean. been there for 14 years
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you Capt Frank, good points on the fishing, I'm leaning towards the high end of the 32'-36' range exactly for that reason, all the fishing will need to be in the ocean
Old 09-08-2017, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I felt the same way. Problem is that Shark River "SR" inlet gives you a very rude awaking.

Easterly rollers at SR jetties on the outgoing tide is un f*cking believable. Huge waves with no backs.

Shark River has got an incredibly large 5+ foot tide drop. SO a very strong current. Incoming is nothing to care for. But the outgoing tide and an easterly blow can be hairy big stuff.

In Raritan Bay/Sandy Hook the worst spot is ironically the Shrewsbury #5 can. And the Sandy Hook#11 as you round the Atlantic and go southerly.

In SR, NO GO days in SR can be saved in SH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp2101 View Post
Thank you Capt Frank, good points on the fishing, I'm leaning towards the high end of the 32'-36' range exactly for that reason, all the fishing will need to be in the ocean
Big time hottie crabber