NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Small Outboard Repair Recommendations?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Small Outboard Repair Recommendations??

Hey guys....I have a 25HP Mercury Mariner on a 16ft Bass Tracker Aluminum Deep V. Noticing at low RPM all seems good but as I throttle up I get higher RPM but no thrust. Prop is a little beat up but nothing bad and I can't see anything wrong in my driveway! I used to take it to Lebanon on rte 22 but they are closed up. Didn't see any sponsors on here that do repairs (but I could just be missing that). If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations of a good mechanic I'd appreciate it. I'm in Bridgewater NJ if that helps. Please PM me if it is not a sponsor.

Thanks.
Ken
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Small Outboard Repair Recommendations??

http://www.aquetongmarine.com/

about twenty min away from you
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

does it rev high when you give it throttle? You may have spun the bushing in the wheel, did you hit sand or ground? you may want to try and replace the prop
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

BMV marine in Flemington. It sounds like you spun the prop though...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I agree with the post above. Sounds like you spun your prop. I have a 28 Evinrude and I had the same issue with mine. Never hit bottom or sand can happen from normal use.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the info everyone. I have a composite prop on there and it does not have a hub. Guess it's designed to just breakaway. I'm going to drop it off this week. Few other things I need so couldn't hurt to have it looked at anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The ABSOLUTE BEST in northern NJ - Anglers in Sea Bright. Not even a close second.

If the prop rotates at all I would agree it's a spun prop and needs a replacement slip sleeve. The "sleeve" will wear down over time and repeated dings. Normally it will stall the motor and is designed to prevent damage the gears and drive shafts when the prop stops and the motor continues to run. Shear pins used to do the same thing. Unlike shear pins, the slip is designed for more than one use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch
Hey guys....I have a 25HP Mercury Mariner on a 16ft Bass Tracker Aluminum Deep V. Noticing at low RPM all seems good but as I throttle up I get higher RPM but no thrust. Prop is a little beat up but nothing bad and I can't see anything wrong in my driveway! I used to take it to Lebanon on rte 22 but they are closed up. Didn't see any sponsors on here that do repairs (but I could just be missing that). If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations of a good mechanic I'd appreciate it. I'm in Bridgewater NJ if that helps. Please PM me if it is not a sponsor.

Thanks.
Ken
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-18-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey guys...just an update. Thanks for all of the info. Ended up just taking it to a place close to me that someone recommended via PM. Needed the carb rebuilt. Got a few other things taken care of while there. Stuff I was "gonna do"...Quick turn around really good service nice guys. Might have been a little pricey on the fix but don't real know how to compare. They said mostly caused by ethanol and from using stabilizer. They recommend never using stabilizer and always running the engine empty after each use.

Interested in hearing of that is common or ...if
you think I might have been taken for a little lesson in boat ownership. Either way I got it back and it wasn't all that much money. Looking forward to getting out there.

Again thanks for all of the info.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thats a doubled edged sword. You get lacquer build up in the carbs with or without fuel stabilizer. Stabilizer minimizes metalurgical degradation SLIGHTLY. And obviously stabilize fuel.

Ever wonder what gum out or other carb cleaners/ fuel injector cleaners do in your car?

I used to pull the fuel line and let my Mercury 20hp run itself dry. Still had repeatedly rebuilt carbs and replacing worn out pull ropes.

Draining the carbs is not all that easy to drain some carb float bowls. And even if sucessful the seals dry out and its another set of problems.

Take the advice with a grain of salt as it's NOT the whole story you should know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch
Hey guys...just an update. Thanks for all of the info. Ended up just taking it to a place close to me that someone recommended via PM. Needed the carb rebuilt. Got a few other things taken care of while there. Stuff I was "gonna do"...Quick turn around really good service nice guys. Might have been a little pricey on the fix but don't real know how to compare. They said mostly caused by ethanol and from using stabilizer. They recommend never using stabilizer and always running the engine empty after each use.

Interested in hearing of that is common or ...if
you think I might have been taken for a little lesson in boat ownership. Either way I got it back and it wasn't all that much money. Looking forward to getting out there.

Again thanks for all of the info.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-23-2013 at 11:27 AM..