NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat slips - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Boat slips

Hey ,
I'm usually all done with securing a slip by this time, but this season I'm kind of being lazy about it. What are your guys thoughts about the slip situation this season in the highlands, AH, leaonardo area? I feel like there is either gonna be no slips to be had, or by June 15th There will be so many, the marinas will be empty. I hear there are slips available in Leonardo , what about AH?
I'm looking for a slip for a 24 rampage express by the way.
Art
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Boat slips

Leonardo did not sustain as much dock damage as Atlantic Highlands. Having said this, I was in the area over the weekend and it looks like there is a lot of work, heavy equipment and materials over at Atlantic Highlands and nothing going on over at Leonardo.

I know of some people that were on the list at Leonardo and got slips, although I don't know if they have any left. It's my undestanding Leonardo is going ahead with the plans to dismantle the one fixed peer they have and putting in 2 new floating docks in addition to the one they already have. It's also my understanding that the concession stand and the office building with bathrooms and showers have been condemed. Given how slow the state moves, I would say it's going to be a while before those buildings are replaced and the new floating docks are installed.

I also heard that Atlantic Highlands is replacing all but 2 of their fixed peers ( Franks and the Gas Dock) with all new floaters. Since the Marina is so vital to the town, I would bet this work gets done sooner rather than later and will likey get completed before Leonardo but who knows. Floating docks go in a lot faster then fixed docks so once they start it should go pretty fast.

A few other notes... At Leonardo, most new slip holders are given the slips along the bulkhead on the lauch ramp side and are moved further back in the marina over time. So, if a floating dock is important to you, you will likely not be on a floater in Leonardo. Same type of thing used to happen over at the Atlantic Highlands. You start off on Franks and get moved to more protected slips over time.... Since they are installing a lot more floaters then Leonardo, I would think your chances of being on a floater will be better there.

If I were you I would call each or wait it out to see which marina is making the best progress.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-25-2013 at 09:00 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You can also call over to Monmouth Cove in Port Monmouth. They have all floating docks and there may be some openings. Electrical power is still out over there.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm gonna start looking hard this week. I figure I'll give Leonardo a shout and take a ride over there. Ive had my boat docked in many marinas around the area, both marinas in keansburg, captains cove in highlands twice, sea venture in highlands last year, ocean view in seabrite, and 2 seasons up the shrewsbury by the 520 bridge. One thing is for sure, I'm not doing the river again, in the summer it's a nightmare with the boat traffic . I fish mostly on the ocean side during the summer and fall so the closer to the hook the better.
Im gonna try All the state run marinas first , I'll see what's doin , and report back...

Art
24 rampage express
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Does anyone think there will be a shortage of slips though? I feel like a lot of people that lost their boats are gonna get out of boating all together, except for the hardcore fishing types. I think a lot of them will just say screw it and not even bother getting another boat.
I know there's a lot of work to be done , but by June 15 I bet a lot will be done..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When i went down to put my deposit down, keansburg area behind the lock was tight.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Art,
I would try Gateway Marina in Highlands. They did not lose a boat during Sandy and whatever damage they had to the working buildings in their marina are all repaired. All the docks are floating with working water and electricity at each slip. Not to forget, they have the best service department (my opinion) of any marina in the area.
Bill
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I've also heard good things about Gateway's service department.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm sure Monmoth Cove will have some open slips. Good clean marina but very pricy. I have been there for the past 11 years and just moved to Leonardo. If Leonardo has open slips they will be open on April 1st. They have water but no power yet. It will be some time before power is restored.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Update on Leonardo... Work boat on site as of 3/27 tearing down the one remaining fixed dock and pulling pilings for the bulheaded slips making room for the new floating docks.

They are currently working on getting the water working and I met an electrician who was sizing up the electric. They will be getting started on that soon but will need to wait until the new floaters are in to complete the work.

There are plans to rebuild the office with batrooms and showers but it's doubtful that will take place this summer. They now have a temporary trailer on site which houses the office and some porta poties.

Lauch ramp still closed and not sure what the plan is to reopen it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area