NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River 4.15.12 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-15-2012, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Passaic River 4.15.12

Normally I'm a lurker. I haven't had any fishing experiences over the last 2 years worthy of a post, much less a mention.

Decided to hit the Passaic beneath the falls in Garfield for the umpteenth time. I've hit this area several times over the last couple of years only to be skunked each and every time. Today was different. I spent the first couple of hours wading between the falls and the first bridge to the south, working a crankbait. Having given up on the prospect of catching one of those rumored 40" Pike, I switched over to a silver Phoebe thinking a smallmouth might be a more reasonable expectation. Bingo, caught two smallies in the next 10 minutes. Each probably weighing in around 2.5- 3 lbs. On had bite marks on his back - clearly from a Pike. I would love to see the Pike that was looking to eat this guy...

Anyway, continued casting when I was nailed by something rather large. Actually it had to be very large. Shook the line violently and then the line went limp. Reeled the lure back in to find the fish had straightened out one the treble hooks! I bent the hook back with my pliers, took a few more casts and within 10 minutes caught a striper that was probably 25-30"! I heard they were in there, but never really expected to come across one myself. Next fish was a catfish, to be followed by a 10 lb carp! All on a little silver Phoebe! What a great day. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to see (or better yet catch) whatever it was that straightened out my hook. Whatever it was, it was stronger than anything else I reeled in this morning.

Can't wait to go back.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Passaic River 4.15.12

Thanx for the post, sounded like a great outing.