NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Why do we tip the mates?

First let me say that I am not a mate, have never been a mate, and have no personal friends or relatives who are or ever have been mates. I am a regular customer on a party boat in AH who also sometimes fishes on other boats from other ports, both party and charter. I can't help but be bothered by people who don't tip or under tip the mates. We all know these guys because they net our fish, (and usually measure the ones that easily short just so we don't have to wonder), untangle our messes that our often our own fault, and filet our keepers when we have some. But let's note some other things that may be not as obvious, especially if you are an occasional fisherman or part of a group or family outing. Helping you carry your coolers and tackle on to the deck and off after the trip is one that shouldn't missed. But have you ever thought about how much work is done before you even get to the boat? Rental rods and reels are prepared and repaired by the mates, not by elves in the middle of the night. The rigs on these are often hand tied by the crew. Want a cold beverage or a snack? It's the mates who lug the ice, drinks, and snacks to the boat and keep them cold for your pleasure. The next time you board a party boat take note of how clean it is and remember the filthy mess that was probably there after the previous trip. It's clean when you got there because somebody busted their ass cleaning it. Every day. Are you tripping over ropes, nets, anchors etc? No your not because the mates are making sure the deck stays organized. These boats are loaded with safety features such as life vests, life rings, and life boats. Would you know what to do in an emergency? The mates are there for you. And don't forget the small talk, fishing tips, and the help given to rookies of all ages. They work in blazing heat, freezing cold and all kinds of foul weather. Most of these guys are employed full time and are true pros, not part timers just there for the summer. (Of course there is some summer help but that doesn't make the job easy for them either.) So listen, when you go to a restaurant would you leave a 3$ tip on a 42$ tab? Or a 5$ tip on a 65$ dollar tab? I hope not. And if you are lucky enough to win a pool remember that you might have missed that fish if these guys missed the details. It's just my opinion but a $20 tip on a $300 pool is not good enough. After all it's found money while having a good time. We are all working for a living and want to be paid what we're worth. So keep in mind what went in to your good time and leave a reasonable tip.