NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Registration - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Boat Registration

Hey guys, picked up a Jon boat not to long ago ( coleman crawdad) to launch at all my fav spots. I recently discovered you need to register the boat if you have any kind of motor on it and I run a 40lb thrust minn Kota. I originally thought that as long as it wasn't gas powered and under 12 ft you didn't need to register it. The only problem is I got the boat off Craigslist for 100 bucks with out a title. I had to drive 2 hours for it and didn't get a bill of sale either. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do or what I would need to make my trip to the DMV easier? Any info would be great thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boat Registration

in NJ any vessel that is powered by any type motor (gas/electric/nuclear fusion/whatever) must be registered, even if it is a canoe or kayak.

you are thinking of titling, which is not required for vessels under 12', canoes, kayaks, etc.

it should not be a problem that you do not have a title for the boat, since there was likely never one to begin with. it is a bigger problem that you do not have a bill of sale. if you can, i would contact the previous owner and send him a bill of sale to sign and mail back to you. then you just get that bill of sale notarized (you sign it in front of your notary) and head off to NJ MVC.

if you can't contact the previous owner, it will be a pain. you will need to produce a letter stating how you acquired the boat. spell out that you drove to whatever town, on so and so date, and paid $x to joe blow and he gave you the boat. then you will need to get that letter notarized. then you will need to schedule an appointment with the NJ State Police Maritime Division for them to inspect the vessel. you will give them your notarized letter, and they will run the numbers on the boat to see if it is stolen. if there aren't numbers on the boat, they will judge things by your story and background etc. assuming there are no problems, they will give you a hull inspection report that you will take to NJ MVC who will then be able to register the boat to you. pain in the ass, but that's how it will have to be, there are no shortcuts you can take; i've been there.

don't worry, next time you will remember to get a bill of sale from the guy! paperwork troubles are the reason that half of the boats are so cheap on craigslist
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

NJSP Maritime division only has 10 stations, Newark Bay is probably closest for you
http://www.njsp.org/maritime/msb-location.html
call a few days ahead of time to schedule the appointment because they aren't at each location every day... and then on the day of your appointment be prepared to wait an hour for them to show up
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Holy Christ that sucks. I'm thinking the fine might be worth it after all that. ive made it this long but its only a matter of time before i get stopped. Hopefully I can find the guys info that sold it to me but I don't think I saved it. Thanks for all the info. I mine as well just schedule my appointment
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you haven't already, don't forget you also need to take a boating safety course to get a boating safety certificate to operate a power vessel, even electric.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And that costs about 55-65.00 bucks too!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Boaters safety course is next on my list. Just gotta find one closest to central jersey. Maybe if I have that and my life vests they will take it easy on me about the registration.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was wondering that at the time I registered. Is it like operating an unregistered vehicle, arrested and vehicle impounded? Or is that driving on the revoked list? Do the laws differ from traffic laws?

Last edited by NorthJerzyG; 02-25-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've done the NJ state Police hull inspection twice. First one was for a 14 foot starcraft (Lake Hopatcong Station) and second one for a 16 foot old towne canoe(Newark Bay Station). It was painless for the most part just took awhile for them to get everything together and type it up. Good luck with your documentation quest.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wouldn't do this but a guy at the local wawa told me he had his brother made a bill of sale out to him, said it was a boat from outta state without required titles. They got a notary to stamp the sale and brought the bill of sale to DMV without incident.