NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Suggestions for midprice sonar/gps unit - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Suggestions for midprice sonar/gps unit

I am looking for some recommendations on a mid priced sonar/gps unit for my boat. I have a 16' boat with a 9.9 motor and have started fishing Lake Hopatcong, Monksville, etc. and want to improve my success by getting a fish finder. Any suggestions would be very welcomed. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Suggestions for midprice sonar/gps unit

Hard to go wrong with the smaller Garmin units. For fishing lakes I would be looking at a fish finder/chart plotter combo. The chart plotter comes in handy when trying to locate structures, repeat drifts etc. They newer ones actually record depths while you are using them and that ads to the accuracy of the charts. I would also be looking at the chirp units, the fish finder detail is amazing.

Striker 4 would be fine but the 7 is better if you can spend a few more dollars the bigger screen helps with combo units.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-16-2017, 05:08 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry. That's the type of info I was hoping to get. I have a bunch of grandkids that I have introduced to fishing and a few are 5 year old fanatics! I want to keep their interest alive and get them some nice fish. Your info is appreciated and I look forward to hearing more responses. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

im a lowrance man originally but after playing with ,and having a friend of mine buy, a garmin stryker series I am a converted man. the units are clear, easy to work with and offer a greater value in my opinion. the only issue I had was if your looking for a side view unit the transduecer size was an issue . it would be blocked by my outboard. otherwise its good to go. agree with the above post, go with the 7 inch screen.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

get the biggest screen you can afford.....if buying new i would recommend going to a shop that has display models that you can play with..you can get some good deals going with a used unit...guys that just need to have the latest tech will sell the old units at a steep discount....just look at the Helix Gen1 vs Gen2 units on ebay....

Definitely purchase a map chip for use with the chart plotter. It really helps in eliminating unproductive water. Navionics is better than Lake Master on Hopatcong. Don't know about Monksville.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Gents: thanks for the input and guidance. I will definitely go with a 7" screen and check out some units at a local shop. All good info. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You absolutely can't go wrong with a Garmin.. Best color FF units I have ever had.. Lots of power, easy to use, great definition, reasonably priced, and often on sale!... Even my old one thats probably 10 years old still works and looks great... bob
Old 10-09-2017, 04:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Bob. From the guidance received, I think I will go with a Garmin that has a 7" screen, chart plotter, chirp feature and map chip. Thanks to all you guys for the great info. Ed