NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Anyone have experience with lung transplant patient or process? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-21-2023, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Anyone have experience with lung transplant patient or process?

Hey Gerry, while not directly fishing related, my father is an avid fisherman, boat owner and die hard salty veined mule. I'm posting here bc this section gets the most eyeballs. Feel free to move to another section.

My father was suddenly hospitalized the day after Thanksgiving this November. He was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. He's since been hospitalized twice more and is currently in the hospital, likely not leaving unless he gets a transplant or the other outcome we're holding out hope to avoid. He's 72.

I've been posting here for years. Nearly all of my offshore tuna posts are trips with my dad. He's my best friend. I am who I am today bc of him. Not solely, but mostly. My obsession with all things fishing, especially offshore pelagics, are rooted by his passion. And I've accelerated the obsession to the finer intricacies of preparation, etc., becoming a never ending student of the deep blue under my father's tutelage.

Anyhow, my family and I were fortunate to be endless squeaky wheels to push our Healthcare system beyond its boundaries to get him a bed at NJ's only transplant facility. They've fast tracked him to undergo a litany of test in a 5 days period....tests which usually take 2 plus weeks. He's healthy. He's muscular. He's strong like bull...for now. Halfway thru his testing already and all is coming back clean. Thankfully...

My long winded question for all of you njf folks, have any of you had experience directly or within your family or extended family, with lung transplant? There was sooo many boxes to check before even being accepted as a candidate in any program...then there's the dreaded wait for a match.

I'm just looking for ANY experience. My world has been turned upside down in 6 weeks time...as has my entire family's. He's got way too much left in the tank to go out like this, but we all know so much of things are out of ours hands. Just this October, a day before my 40th birthday, we were in the Hudson Canyon slaying slob yellows. He was the captain and part time gaff man. It was hands down the best tuna fishing I've ever experienced in my life on the chunk. And now he's in a hospital bed barely able to breathe on his own.

Any insights would be HUGELY appreciated. And positive thoughts for the outcome most desired. He deserves a shot to keep going... thanks. #NoQuit
Old 01-21-2023, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Anyone have experience with lung transplant patient or process?

Just called a friend in Fl. who had a transplant years ago and does support work, left a message for a call back. If you want to PM me contact info, I will let you know what he says or maybe can contact you, let see how it goes.

Leo
Old 01-22-2023, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

hey jigman this is sad news, i will keep your dad in my prayers. i know what you mean about your world being hit hard we are barely into 2023 and my sister-in-law died on the 5th and my brother is in the icu with water in his lungs he is 71. i hope for both of us that things get better.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Prayers and well wishes to both of you.!!
Old 01-23-2023, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I don't have any experience with this, but i'm sorry to hear this and i hope you guys can get the absolute best results possible dude.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-23-2023, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I’ve heard you talk about your father on past ice fishing trips and stuff. He’s definitely a strong man and with the right doctors will come through on the high end of things. I do not have any experience in this area but you should know that I will say a few words For you, your family and father this evening. Stay positive and keep the good vibes rolling!
Old 01-23-2023, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words and well wishes. We're endlessly positive. Hoping things continue to move in the right direction.