NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBeam View Post
Let me tell you all something....... You can read all the facts/bullshit about these fish on Google....... but I`ll tell all this....... I have personally caught huge Largemouth Bass standing in the exact same spot that I just landed a Snake in minutes before........ Also I have witnessed Bass dining on Snakehead fry-balls....... chowin` down on the infant Snakes. So contrary to what you read, they are an actual food source as well. And..... you can kill buckets of Snakes....... won`t matter. They are eveywhere....... And this fish spawns a few times a year laying upwards to 15,000 eggs at one time. Like I said,..... Kill as many as you want(personally I find them delicious filleted) ..... you won`t ever put the slightest dent in the population. And personally, I believe you will see the fighting fish become acknowledge as a game fish one day in New Jersey....... just a matter of time. The Bowfin is another amazing fish to catch......... And if you`ve never fished/caught either....... You don`t know what you`re missing.
I think you're right!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

As much as I respect snakehead as a gamefish, it's no evil to follow the law and rid them out. If a state like NJ is demanding you to kill something, you know something aint right.

It would be best if their populations stayed where they are.

"you won`t ever put the slightest dent in the population"

I agree with them in large bodies of water, but say that to smaller/local bodies of water however. I reckon that they can ruin a pond, but also the local anglers could easily rid snakeheads' presence.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
As much as I respect snakehead as a gamefish, it's no evil to follow the law and rid them out. If a state like NJ is demanding you to kill something, you know something aint right.

It would be best if their populations stayed where they are.

"you won`t ever put the slightest dent in the population"

I agree with them in large bodies of water, but say that to smaller/local bodies of water however. I reckon that they can ruin a pond, but also the local anglers could easily rid snakeheads' presence.
all valid concerns and more reasons why I'd like to find CURRENT info on their spread and impact. seems like most resources went into the initial hype rather than monitoring. (flatheads?)

ps- on a lighter note those points apply to the bucket brigade as well!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ken,

Where can one find these snakeheads? (Rich R VW)
Old 06-24-2017, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: SNAKEHEAD FISHING ADVENTURE IN THE SWAMPS OF JERSEY - Had the Go PRO

Ken, I give credit to the biologists, they tend not to think of today or next week when it comes to invasive species such as Snakeheads, but think about 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from now. If they say do not release them, don't release them.

Last edited by AndyS; 06-30-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Old 06-25-2017, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Ken, I give credit to the biologists. Then tend not to think of today or next week when it comes to invasive species such as Snakeheads, they tend to think about 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from now. If they say do not release them, don't release them.

video doesn't show them being released.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

wow ken you had yourself in a mess there,those weeds are brutal. thank god you have a tough rod to "HAUL" those fish ini think you were smart for not going in after that snakehead you might have gone right up to your thigh in black muck with crocs on,not good. great vid as usual ken thanks for sharing your adventure with us
Old 06-26-2017, 01:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A while back I was fishing in a part of Florida where a different species of Snakehead had become established - along with a lot of other invasives. The locals claimed the Snakeheads had no impact on the bass fishing.

This is just anecdotal and South Florida is not New Jersey, but it seems the presence of Snakeheads wasn't catastrophic to the ecosystem.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

A while back I was fishing in a part of Florida where a different species of Snakehead had become established - along with a lot of other invasives. The locals claimed the Snakeheads had no impact on the bass fishing.

This is just anecdotal and South Florida is not New Jersey, but it seems the presence of Snakeheads wasn't catastrophic to the ecosystem.

Exactly right Jeff............. They are going no where as I said earlier. The State will embrace the idea of the Snakehead as a gamefish....... eventually.

Kill as many you want........ You`ll never get ahead nor maintain/control the population. They are everywhere and are going to continue to show up in more & more waterways as the years progress.

Ken-
Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

NJDF&W errs on the side of caution with “potentially dangerous fish species”.
Keyword: “potentially”.

The below from: 2016 -2017 FISH CODE http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2...hcode16-17.pdf

7:25-6.1 General provisions

(g) The possession and/or release of live potentially dangerous fish species, identified in N.J.A.C. 7:25-6.2, is strictly prohibited. Potentially dangerous fish species encountered while angling shall be destroyed. There are no season, minimum size or creel limits on these species.

7:25-6.2 Definitions
The following words and terms, when used in this subchapter, shall have the following meanings,
unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

"Potentially dangerous fish" means the following species:
1. Asian Swamp Eel Monopterus albus
2. Bighead Carp Hypophthalmichthys nobilis
3. Brook Stickleback Culaea inconstans
4. Flathead Catfish Pylodictis olivaris
5. Grass Carp (diploid) Ctenopharyngodon idella
6. Green Sunfish Lepomis cyanellus
7. Snakeheads Channa spp.
8. Oriental Weatherfish Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
9. Silver Carp Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
10. Warmouth Lepomis gulosus