NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

My first Striper when I least expect it... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: My first Striper when I least expect it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I stopped at Overpeck after work yesterday, even though i had to be on a conference call. While messing with my phone, something slammed my ned rig and nearly took the rod out of my hand. Unfortunately by the time i got my other hand out of my pocket it was too late - the fish spit the hook. Definitely going to try here again sometime!
What general part of the lake were you fishing at? Upstream or downstream of Degraw Ave bridge? I usually fish from one of the two piers on the western side designated for kayak launching (no one seems to mind). I also have a really productive ‘secret’ spot in the portion of the lake above Degraw Ave. bridge (I think this is sometimes referred to as ‘old Overpeck park’). Barely anyone fishes that portion of the lake but I have had great luck in that area during the Summer months.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I know nothing about Overpeck creek, does it flow into a trib to the ocean at some point, is that a tidal section by any chance. From what I am now finding out those Stripahs spend an awful long time in FW.
Great job, nice Stripahs, love the reports !!!!
Correction to my earlier response to this post - There is in fact a dam that separates Overpeck Creek from the Hackensack River. It is located underneath the turnpike where it crosses the creek and operates as a ‘tidal gate’ that can be opened and closed. I don’t know how often or for what reason that gate is ‘opened’ but apparently some stripers must sneaknthrough when it is. Any stripers who venture into the creek would presumably be stuck there when the gate is closed.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Congrats man, that's awesome!! Same way I got my first, trout fishing. Definitely unexpected and a great fight!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........
Old 10-26-2018, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
What general part of the lake were you fishing at? Upstream or downstream of Degraw Ave bridge? I usually fish from one of the two piers on the western side designated for kayak launching (no one seems to mind). I also have a really productive ‘secret’ spot in the portion of the lake above Degraw Ave. bridge (I think this is sometimes referred to as ‘old Overpeck park’). Barely anyone fishes that portion of the lake but I have had great luck in that area during the Summer months.
I was actually trying in the same area you mentioned above! I think i would've done better had there not been nearly 30 kids paddling back and forth on those long rowing boats while yelling and laughing