NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!! - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker
I was about done with this thread, but the logic gap in this thought process dragged me back in.

The idea that a larger size limit results in more dead fish is total bunk... and here is why. The number of fish hooked in a trip is not impacted by size limits.

No one stops fishing just because they caught their limit. They can catch their limit in 10 minutes and then they keep fishing and releasing fish all day until the trip is over.

If you catch 10 bass and
(example 1) release all 10 OR
(example 2) release 8 & put 2 in the cooler,
you still have hooked 10 bass.

So, if your hook mortality (fish that unintentionally die due to being hooked) is 10%:

in example 1, you will have statistically sent away 1 floater (killed 1 fish).

In example 2, you will have statistically sent away .8 floaters (gotta treat this as a dead one 'cause your either alive or dead - regardless of what the math might say) and have 2 dead ones in the box (killed 3 fish - your 2 in the box and 1 due to hook mortality).

The idea that a smaller size limit actually SAVES fish would hold water ONLY if people caught their limit and then had to go sit in the cabin.
is this in your''expert'' opinion.your data is as flawed as noaa!!!!

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

Did I make a math error? If so, please explain.

There's no "data" in my post, so that can't be the problem. I put up a simple math problem. The 10% mortality was hypothetical for the purpose of the example.

If you're arguing that the thought process of the post is wrong, then how about you explain how a higher size limit kills more fish than a smaller size limit. I like to learn new things. I'm looking forward to your explanation.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Oh, and if anyone cares, catch and release hook mortality on striped bass was found to be 6.4% in a study performed on the Roanoke River, in NC.

The percentage varies based on how deep the fish is hooked, water temp, air temp, etc.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

#1. You guys can thank the liberals that were placed in the NOAA by our darling president for the mess we are in.

#2. Seems to me that for the past few years anyone who could spell "bass" could jump on a charter and catch 30-40 lb fish...and plenty of them. I'm only going by the pictures that are posted...limits out the wazoo. Why someone needs to keep that many big, off tasting stripers is beyond me.

#3. I know we are all aware of the tens of thousands of people out of work..alot of them with 20-25 years of service with their company..they come in one day and they are gone...by by...see you later...and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I guess they have to find ANOTHER way to make a living if they want to survive.

#4. The mortality rate for a striper laying on the dock is 100%. That math can't be wrong.

#5. Please don't take this post the wrong way. I like to take my daughter out in my boat in the bay for some striper fishing. I'll keep one or two to eat and to give to my family. Thats if I'm lucky enought to catch any..the past few years in the BAY have been terrible for me. I think we caught 3 last year.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

when we get into a catch and release situation we use circle hooks!you are entitled to your opinion.this is not an argument.i am looking at it from the perspective of a charter captain.if we had laws that would fit your thinking we for hire boats would go out of business.charter and party boats are entitled to harvest a reasonable amount of bass.as far as a private recreational boat goes,do what you think is the right thing.catch 1 bass and go home.i have many friends with private boats that would disagree with you.bottom line, we need 2 fish to make a living.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Capt Sal I agree i use also use the same hooks as soon as I started using them 99% of the fish were all hooked above their gills. Not hard to take out and back in the water in less than one minute! there will alsways be fish that get gut hooked by the fishermen that just let the fish inhale the bait. I was taught how to fish by my father doing fresh water trout fihing in NJ waters. He alsways told me anyone can catch a fish when then gut hook them but the real fishermean had the perfict hook up where they were hooked in the mouth. I STILL HOLD THIS TO BE TRUE! But then again not all on the party boats fish that much to become a good fisherman. I put 98% of the fish I catch back in the water. So soon it will be a law to put them all back or not fish at all! let the comerical guys keep all they want then soon they will be all out of service, like what they have done with ever thing in the ocean.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unfortunately, to talk about catch and release mortality will only give the tree huggers ammo.

Aren't stripers already listed as a "Game Fish" in New Jersey?

Last edited by Tony Cav; 02-03-2010 at 06:17 AM..
Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree, stripers should be a game fish to stop the comms from killing them at an alarming rate. The side affect of that will be a limit on rec fisherman. All that aside ....

that IS not the reason there were fewer fish in the bay. It's a nice idea to tie the two together, but its not accurate.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleyankfan
I agree, stripers should be a game fish to stop the comms from killing them at an alarming rate. The side affect of that will be a limit on rec fisherman. All that aside ....

that IS not the reason there were fewer fish in the bay. It's a nice idea to tie the two together, but its not accurate.
Can you please inform me at were this alarming rate is occurring? The original poster was blaming the lack of fish in the bay on netting that did not even happen. We as fisherman are fishing under quotas and or mortality rates. Commercial fisherman fish under quotas. A healthy fully rebuilt fishery can support a maximum sustainable yield of harvest. But as you also point out some people hate to let the facts get in the way when they try to make thier point.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Fishguts...the passion for fishing that some have tends to get in the way of "actual" facts and leans towards opinions that have been become truths since many feel that it's reasonable to believe.
The point of the correlation not being accurate is accurate though and he should get credit for that...

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!