NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

One fish a day thread - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: One fish a day thread

Ocean pout. I know JM has been waiting for this one...when we work on them on the survey ship we tend to play with them a bit-as evidenced in the one photo. They grab hold of what you put in their mouth-and hold it for some time-

old link
http://www.gma.org/fogm/Macrozoarces_americanus.htm

http://maine.gov/dmr/recreational/an.../oceanpout.pdf

http://fishbase.org/summary/480

this one is interesting
http://www.gotosnapshot.com/myblog/c...ish/ocean-pout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ocean pout and acadian redfish.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	93590   Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	93591  

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

good stuff,on those spotted hake.are they the one we catch in the canyons and feed to swordfish.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sea Raven. When these come up in trawls they tend to be full of water. Not too many fish have this problem-it's like they just don't keep their mouth closed on their way up. It makes identifying their stomach contents a bit more difficult...even in both of the photo's they are full of water...
Biggest I've seen was about ten pounds. That's after the water in the stomach was drained out...

old link
http://www.gma.org/fogm/Hemitripterus_americanus.htm

http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesS...7&AT=sea+raven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kunkel_UMASS_SeaRaven.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	93598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kunkel_UMASS.searaven.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	93599  

Last edited by shresearchdude; 02-11-2016 at 03:45 PM..
Old 02-12-2016, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Haddock is the fish of the day. I've got an image from 2014 when small ones were in our very own bay. It was a good year for them. For the most part they are Georges Bank, Gulf of Maine and that zone. The nickname they sometimes have is "mudsuckers" as their diet indicates that they slurp animals off the bottom along with mud, and that's what's in their stomach, muddy remains.

More info later...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014MARCH_IPHONE 128.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	93604   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030150.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	93605   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030218.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	93606   Click image for larger version

Name:	haddock1_fullsize.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	93607  

Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Atlantic Mackerel. Cold water. They eat small shrimp, copepods and larvae of just about whatever is available. Many times when you cut fish like herring and mackerel open to study the diets they are full of tiny pink copepods and euphausiid shrimp.
I've never eaten one.

old link
http://www.gma.org/fogm/Scomber_scombrus.htm

http://www.fishwatch.gov/profiles/atlantic-mackerel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030158.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	93617   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030157.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	93618  

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Butterfish

old link

http://www.gma.org/fogm/Poronotus_triacanthus.htm

http://www.edc.uri.edu/restoration/h...ish/butter.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030213.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	93623   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030279.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	93624  

Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wolf fish. Nice set of teeth on this species!! Deep water Northern species-Georges Bank/Gulf of Maine. These are a large slow growing species that is listed as a "species of concern". They crush their prey.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdfs/spe...h_detailed.pdf

A study on their diets.

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1132/fairchild.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	93625   Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf fish noaa bottom trawl.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	93626  

Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Humpback whale!! just seeing who is paying attention here...
photo from my trip to Antarctica in 2013. This was a pleasure trip that was a trip of my lifetime. The trip involved leaving from the southernmost tip of South America(Ushuaia) and the winds while crossing the Drake passage were +80knots. For me it was fun while the ship was tilted on it's side while the winds slammed against us.

Almost every photo could be a postcard!!!!! and it took two months for an actual postcard to reach NJ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000891.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	93639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000803.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	93640  

Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They are some amazing photos Keep them coming
Old 02-18-2016, 12:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Tautog. Blackfish. And when they are tiny they are green, brown and not near black as they match the sea lettuce and growth on the inshore rocks when they grow up. The area in between Atlantic Highlands(marina) south to Highlands is a great spot to find the tiny guys that use the area with tiny cunner. Lots of big rocks with growth on them that hold food. I helped set up a behavior study where tiny blackfish would compete for hiding spots in a habitat(shells) to avoid a predator. Well -the tiny ones would shove another fish out of the habitat and survive.

What I usually forget when I'm tog fishing-which isn't a daily event-is that big tog will grab their food and bash it against the bottom to break it up. That's what has happened when I swing and miss.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/tm/tm118/
an except taken from the above link...

FEEDING BEHAVIOR

Tautog feed throughout the daytime. Beginning soon after sunrise, tautog were reported to leave their shelters to forage for food, which involved scan-and-pick feeding (Briggs 1969b; Olla et al. 1975). This activity sometimes took the adults up to 500 m from their homesites (Wicklund 1966; Olla et al.1974). Bigelow and Schroeder (1953) observed that tautog followed the flood tide up above low water levels, around ledges, to prey on mussels in the intertidal zone, and returned to deeper water during the ebb tide. Feeding continued to evening twilight (Olla et al. 1974). Olla et al. (1974) reported that tautog required about 8 hr to process and evacuate food.

In laboratory studies, Olla et al. (1974) observed that tautog grasped mussels with their anterior teeth and tore them from their attached substrate with a lateral shaking of the head. Small prey were swallowed whole (Bigelow and Schroeder 1953), while larger, hard-shelled ones were crushed by pharyngeal teeth before swallowing (Bigelow and Schroeder 1953; Olla et al. 1974). The anterior teeth were not involved in the crushing process (Olla et al. 1974, Liem and Sanderson 1986). It was observed that the tautog's mouth can accommodate larger clumps of mussels than the pharyngeal teeth can process efficiently. In this case, the fish ingests and egests the clump from its mouth, separating it in the process into smaller, crushable sizes. The feeding and mastication methods of this species are specialized and typical of labrids and cichlids only (Liem and Sanderson 1986).

In the southern part of its range (i.e., below New Jersey), the blue mussel, a dominant prey in colder waters, is at its warm-temperature limits and has wide variability in recruitment and abundance (Foster et al. 1994). Without strong periodic recruitment, mussel populations in these areas can be preyed upon by tautog to near extirpation, as reported for Virginia (Chee 1977; Chesapeake Executive Council 1994). This near extirpation creates a change in the prey field available to tautog in this habitat, and can cause at least some of the tautog population to seek alternate or better foraging areas. This change in prey field can be a factor in the local distribution of the population. (See the "Adults" subsection, "Differential Distribution" section of the "Distribution and Habitat" chapter.)

FACTORS AFFECTING FEEDING

Tautog find prey visually and were reported not to feed at night (Olla et al. 1974; Deacutis 1982). Neither do they actively feed in northern waters during the coldest part of the year (Cooper 1966; Curran 1992). In Narragansett Bay, Cooper (1966) observed that of 15 tautog, 13 had shrunken and emptied digestive tracts in winter. The other two fish had remains of Atlantic rock crabs in their stomachs. Curran (1992) found all feeding stopped in the closely related cunner (and probably tautog) when water temperatures reached the low levels that induce torpor and hibernation. Cunner, at least, survived up to 6 mo without food, using glycogen, lipids, and proteins stored in their livers (Curran 1992); tautog may do likewise.

In laboratory experiments, a decrease in feeding was observed with an increase in water temperature above certain levels. Tautog which had been acclimated to temperatures of 19°C and 21°C, respectively, decreased their ingestion of food, when water temperatures were increased to 28.7-33.0°C over a certain amount of days (Olla and Studholme 1975; McCormack 1976; Olla et al. 1978). McCormack (1976) also reported that it required up to 7 days for field-collected fish to begin feeding in laboratory aquaria. (For other environmental effects on feeding, see the "Habitat Modification and Loss" section of the "Natural and Human-Induced Environmental Factors" chapter.)

Tautog were observed to vary, to some extent, their feeding in association with their place in a group dominance hierarchy. In one laboratory study with three fish, the dominant fish of the moment ate the greatest amount of food, followed by the subordinate fish, in some order of rank (Olla et al. 1978). In a related tank study, McCormack (1976), however, found no difference in consumption of Atlantic surfclam (Spisula solidissima) meats between the dominant and subordinate individuals of paired 160-280 mm tautog.

Food intake in tautog may decrease during spawning. Bridges and Fahay (1968) reported possible courtship behavior of tautog in a laboratory study during which no spawning occurred. In this study, 1 day prior to courtship behavior, the male and female daily food (undefined) intake decreased from 40 to 1g. During courtship behavior, which lasted 2 wk, the 300-mm female ceased eating, but the 270-mm male increased food intake to 10 g/day. After courtship behavior ceased, the female resumed eating, but less than 10 g/day. The time period that this reduced level of feeding persisted, or if it changed, was not reported. It is possible that some of this behavior was an artifact of the fish's confinement in aquaria, as it has not been documented in the wild.

Deacutis (1982) found tautog did not have an acute sense of smell for detecting prey, compared to red hake (Urophycis chuss), and were hesitant to explore open bottom to find food they could not see.

http://www.asmfc.org/species/tautog

I can't find any good photo's of blackfish in my collection...