NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Gas Prices At The Dock - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Gas Prices At The Dock

Is it a conspiracy?
Last month - Gas prices inland were about $3.79 or so. At the dock - it was $3.99 (fair enough)

Now gas prices have dropped to about $3.34, oil prices are well off their highs....yet prices at the docks $3.99. What gives?

Why haven't these prices come down?
And if you tell me it's because it's by the water and there are regs they have to follow and deliveries are in between bla bla bla...then prices a month a go should've been HIGHER.

I want to know why prices at teh docks have not dropped with regular market prices....
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Gas Prices At The Dock

Very simple....most facilities are privately owned, the Harbor in Atl. Highlands is municipal, these are all businesses and that's how they make their money.

Do you think for a minute they are upset that we are all pissed at the price of gas or fuel?
WE pay or we don't Play.

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

I am not a fan of this type of dealings, but they probably don't have the turnover volume and are probably still on the last tank they filled at the premium pricing.

I would give it a few weeks and if it doesn't drop by .50, I would invest in gas containers and fill up at the local gas station and fill your boat that way, unless you hold hundreds of gallons and in that case you are screwed.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Guys,
Be sure to check the ethanol % on the fuel before you use it in your boat.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
NJFishing.com Member

If the marina bought fuel a month ago, they are charging you the price they bought the fuel at. Much less turnover than your regular gas station who is getting a delivery every couple of days and buying fuel at a different market price. Not to mention the markup for being on the dock.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

$4.15 at Monmouth Cove (Port Monmouth).Was $4.17.Only $.02 drop after recent gas delivery.Why?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

In response to tjd. The addition of ethanol to fuels is wreaking havoc with engines. If you're experiencing decreased power in your engines it's likely because of a varnish buildup throughout the engines (on the injectors, and ALL of the screens/filters throughout your engines). It seems to me that the increased use of ethanol in fuel is increasing the rate at which gas varnish is building up.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

They do it because they can.. it come s down to competition..land based stations have competition from other stations near by...where as marina stations do not.. if there were two stations at each marina owned by seperate parties, i would bet ypu would see prices lower than they are now..although that would never happen..marina owners hold sort of a monopoly over that market and without competition why not charge more seems like smart business in my eyes..although i agree prices should be lowered,if i was in their shoes id be doing the same thing
Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelobsession
If the marina bought fuel a month ago, they are charging you the price they bought the fuel at. Much less turnover than your regular gas station who is getting a delivery every couple of days and buying fuel at a different market price. Not to mention the markup for being on the dock.
Guys this is the reason of the difference in prices, this time of year they get a delivery in early May and they are lucky to sell it by mid June. What they buy it at they need to sell it at. They dont want to rip you off they want your business
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Today's price at the gas dock in Belmar $3.89, last week $4.03, Diesel today $3.59. Price on Rt. 35 today $3.34.