NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
Was thinking of giving that a shot or Lake Tamarack on the other side of Skyline. Have you ever tried it?
I've never fished Lake Tamarack. It might be good, it looks very "bassy". It gets about zero fishing pressure, but it is choked with lily pads near shore so you have to choose your spots. Same for nearby Todd Lake. I'm sure there are some pretty big bass in both lakes. Worst case you will have plenty of sunnies to keep your kids busy.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
Tamarack is a private Boy Scout Camp. Fished it when I was a Boy Scout, caught some bass.

You can get down to Ramapo Lake by walking down the gated-off road across the street from Tamarack, but it will take you longer to get to lake. The parking lot I use is right on the left of Skyline if you're coming off 287 going towards Oakland. If you're coming from Tamarck, it will be on the right side of the road at the bottom of the hill. Drive slow and you can't miss it. From there it's a 20-minute hike, I think, it's been awhile.
Tamarack is now owned by Bergen County. There is a road there but unauthorized vehicle access is not allowed on it. You need to park on Skyline Drive and walk the road. It will take you about 20 mins.,downhill all of the way on a rough but paved rd., but obviously uphill on the way back.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I always thought Tamarack was public? I've passed by homeowners out on their porch on my hike back there and waved, and they waved back without saying anything. My wife likes that lake...she outfished me there 3 years ago and I still hear about it Just like Ramapo Lake, you gotta hike around a bit to get to decent spots. Ramapo used to have large crappie and jumbo sunfish in it along with a huge population of pickerel and some bass. I haven't been there in a bit though. It's a great lake if you can hike it.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bucket Brigade has long been pounding Tamarack. We use to poach it when it was a Boy Scout Camp, fished it a bunch after the County obtained it. It didnt take long until fishing line and worm containers littered the shore. Ramapo Lake is better bet if you take the time walk the banks along the back side.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Two of my favorite spots are Navesink River and Monksville Reservoir...although since I'm from Delaware I hit the Delaware river pretty often.

Last edited by crsportfishing; 06-22-2016 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2021, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
You can access Round Valley from nearly anywhere if you are willing to walk. The areas around the camping launch and the main boat launch are easy to get to. Generally better trout fishing from shore in spring and fall than LMB fishing.
The lake drops off fast and you can be fishing in 20+ feet of water with your casts. It's a difficult lake to fish unless you know it. Not a place to bring kids with the idea of a guaranteed catch (outside trout in cold water season).
Resurrecting this thread. Actually never made it to Round Valley when I started this conversation but considering doing so this Saturday evening. Any word of how shore fishing is this year?
Old 06-17-2021, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I would also like to inquire about bass fishing down the shore, specifically near Brick Township. My in-laws own a home on the upper end of Barnegat Bay (Kettle Creek I believe it's called at that point). We fish off their dock for snapper blues but catch squat so we mostly crab. I'm basically looking for nearby fresh water ponds/lakes within 30 minute drive that have shore access.
Check out Forge Pond right in brick I have caught some nice largemouth there even though water a bit brackish. There are also a ton of old sand quarries in the pine barrens just a bit further south. If you have a decent 4 wheel drive vehicle
You can do some fun off roading and then have a perfect blue hole filled with bass all to yourself. Also great for swimming just be careful, we have all heard the stories about kids drowning while swimming in old quarries.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I've been following Haledon Reservoir in the Franklin Lakes nature preserve. Shore access is limited but there are good spots. Water near the dam drops off quickly to 15'. Post spawn you could watch some sizable LMB cruising back and forth in about 5-6 feet of water. But they're somewhat finicky and it can be tough going
Old 06-21-2021, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK37 View Post
I've been following Haledon Reservoir in the Franklin Lakes nature preserve. Shore access is limited but there are good spots. Water near the dam drops off quickly to 15'. Post spawn you could watch some sizable LMB cruising back and forth in about 5-6 feet of water. But they're somewhat finicky and it can be tough going
That's actually very close to me. I'm going to check it out.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
That's actually very close to me. I'm going to check it out.
Let me know how it goes. I'm in Oakland, and looking for good venues with shore access as well