NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What's your trout setup - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default What's your trout setup

What's up guys. I have a gift card that's been burning a whole in my pocket so I think I'm gonna retire my hand me down 1980s Penn ultralight reel and 5 foot ugly stick combo and get something new for opening day. What do you guys have or recommend. Gonna be used mostly for casting small mepps spinners for trout and maybe small bass later in the spring, but mostly stocked trout in lakes. Looking to keep it around 150 or so. I usually fish the Monday after opening day to avoid crowds as I like to relax and CPR rather than battle people chasing limits so if anyone wants to join let me know.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: What's your trout setup

My setup is a Berkley Cherrywood 5'6" light action rod with a Pflueger Supreme. I've caught a lot of nice fish on it, and it will definitely fit in your budget.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was actually looking at the Pflueger supreme. Have a president that I bought a few years back and figured I'd try out the next step. What size did you get? You use this setup just for trout or you use it for some of your Smallie outings?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I picked up a Shimano Sedona FD 1000 combo on clearance that I really really like...It is buttery smooth..was using pfluegers previosuly....will likely upgrade rod at some point...
Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
Was actually looking at the Pflueger supreme. Have a president that I bought a few years back and figured I'd try out the next step. What size did you get? You use this setup just for trout or you use it for some of your Smallie outings?
I got the 25X, which I think is the smallest size. It's my primary setup for trout and panfish, but it can handle decent sized smallies as well.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah I guess I can't go wrong with a 1000 size shimano..was considering the Sahara..i always have a hard time making a final decision on what to pair together especially when it comes to rod type..im assuming with an ultralight rod for trout that most people use a fast action
Old 03-31-2017, 02:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
I got the 25X, which I think is the smallest size. It's my primary setup for trout and panfish, but it can handle decent sized smallies as well.
They make a 20 in the cheaper reels- it's tiny but nice for fishing 2lb test
(Pflueger trion 20)

I do the 25 president (pflueger) and a 5ft UL gx2 for wading, a 6 foot from shore.(also got a spare spool so I have vary sizes)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

4' 6" Shakespeare ultra lite rod that's lighter than a St Croix and cheaper, I paid 10 bucks for it, LOL! Paired with a 50 dollar Pflueger reel I got from somewhere. Spooled up with 3 lb P line ice line as always, 100% Fluoro, and NO, I don't get line twists...........no leader needed either!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

6" st croix UL, daiwa exceler 2000. 6 lb fluoro please line. I use a slightly longer rod bc I fish jigs predominantly. 1/16 oz or less...
Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For spinning its a 5 1/2 ft UL Shimano Clarus rod with a Pfleuger President reel. I also have a 4 1/2 ft UL Fenwick. Bought it in the early 80's, not sure of the model (the markings have long worn off). Last year I replaced the equally old Shimano reel on that rod with a new Pfleuger President (moved the old Shimano to an ice fishing rod).

It is hard to beat those Pfleuger Presidents. Great reels for the money. For UL stream trout fishing look for the 6925 size.

The Shimano Clarus is a very good rod for the money. Hang a President on it and you are coming in under $150. Though I don't own a UL version, I have several Fenwick HMGs and HMXs. Great rods for under $100. Same price range as the Clarus. Definitely check out the Fenwick HMG and HMX line of rods. Also check out the Bass Pro Shops Micro Lite rods. They are a steal. I had a UL BPS Micro Lite rod that I really liked until a poorly placed cigar burned a hole in it and caused it to break. I was going to buy another when I found a really good deal on the Shimano Clarus, which is why I now have that.

For flyfishing I have two 8 1/2 ft LL Bean rods. One 5/6 wt and one 6/7 wt. Just this week I replaced the ancient Pfleuger reels that started falling apart after 40 years with brand new Echo Ion reels. I hear they are pretty good. We shall see after I fish with them.

Last edited by briansnat; 03-31-2017 at 08:50 PM..