NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Need New Wading Boots - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Need New Wading Boots

Hello there everyone in the sweet water forum

I am in the market for some new wading boots and looking for any recommendations on what you guys use and like. The last pair of boots i bought were felt and velcro and I cant seem to find to many velcro left and I am also reading that the felt is bad for transferring diseases to different bodies of water but the rubber boots well you just slip?

What do you guys use/recommend, I will be only trout fishing in rivers no hunting or heavy duty salmon fishing

So what do ya like ? and what do you got - FWIW I have never used spikes

And also a Big Shout out To Andy and everyone else that tried to help me and help my nephew catch his first fish - BTW he did FINALLY

GDubs-
Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Need New Wading Boots

I prefer rubber hip boots with lug soles. I don't go too deep walking in the water. I don't see a need for chest waders in most of nj trout streams and rivers. The lug soles are just the same as like a workboot sole. I like the rubber boots better than the canvas ones as I feel they are more durable. I walk through alot of brush and canvas boots just don't hold up. You can usually get a pair for around fifty bucks or cheaper if they are on sale. Get a size bigger than you normally wear for extra room for some nice thick socks. Spring water temps can be pretty cold and the extra room helps when taking boots off as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Need New Wading Boots

I used 3mm cabelas waders lasted me 5 years of decent use!
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wear felt soled w/ screw in studs: Simms Guide Boot.

Rubber / eco-soles are much more slippery.

Sierra Trading Post has good deals on wading boots,....even Simms sometimes.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I prefer bootfoots by Aquaz felt bottoms good but not suitable in many situations W/O adding spikes . Many boots will not accept screw in type so I,use a slip on micro spikes . The ones I Use are HD rubber w/ comparable chain & in two years & well over 150 + on water trout days many in winter these are great!
They have never been pulled off by mud , sand etc, stay in place & give me solid footing even on moss covered rocks .
Eliminates the need to replace pulled spikes or add same , takes seconds to put on or take off .
Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
I wear felt soled w/ screw in studs: Simms Guide Boot.

Rubber / eco-soles are much more slippery.

Sierra Trading Post has good deals on wading boots,....even Simms sometimes.
^This. Simms if your budget allows, and absolutely felt with screw-in studs.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I go lug soles plastic/rubber . Never had an issue with sleeping unless I'm on algae.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There are pros and cons for various boots and which bottom they have.

Felt has been known to transfer diseases included didymo (rock snot). But it sticks good on slippery stuff. With some boot manufacturers, you can add spikes to the felt. Spikes come in also different shapes and sizes (and prices). For me, any boots that I own, whether felt or rubber soled, have some form of spike in them.

Benefits of rubber soled boots are no disease transfer, and if you ever have to walk in the snow, you'll appreciate it (Felt is like a sponge on snow, and you'll have 5" of hard pack on your soles if they get wet and you walk through the snow). Rubber doesn't stick as good, but nothing a quality set of carbide spikes won't fix.

As for boots - Cabelas is always good for on the cheap (but they work). I prefer Chota boots - they are the widest boot I've ever owned, and I prefer that. They also have a "speed lace" system. Not the Velcro you were looking for, but not a bad option.

Simms - Love my Muckboot Waders (strictly for warmth)- but hate Simms boots (and waders). So no, not everyone thinks Simms is the greatest.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I have a pair of Korkers that serves me well. I can change the bottom to felt or spikes for whatever condition I'm fishing in.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was always a fan of felt soles. They give great traction on slippery rocks. They aren't banned in NJ yet, but many states have banned them and it may be a matter of time before NJ does. This is despite the science that says banning them doesn't matter much. Your neoprene waders are just as likely to trap the cells that cause rock snot and other invasives.

That said I probably would stay away from felt sole boots because NJ may eventually decide to ban them, then you would have to have your boots resoled or discard them.

Metal cleats work just as well. I would look for boots with cleats over felt for that reason