NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Skunked in Somerville 4/25/18: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Skunked in Somerville 4/25/18:

Hit the Upper Peters Brook stretch, nothing. Good news is the parking lot is now open. Made my way down to lower Manville and got one small Rainbow.
Flows are really nice on the Raritan right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5892.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	121595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5887.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	121596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5888.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	121597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5889.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	121598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5890.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	121599  

Name:	IMG_5894.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	121600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5895.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	121601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5896.JPG
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	121602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5897.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	121603  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Skunked in Somerville 4/25/18:

I admit to knowing very little or nothing about the main stem of the Raritan. It has always looked so imposing. I do know that it is stocked with trout through the stretch above Route 206, but is it stocked anywhere below there? I'm just curious how far it was from any stocking point where you caught the small rainbow. It's not that I'm looking to fish there but I'm wondering how far that fish might have swum from where it was stocked. Finally, in your opinion, what other kinds of fish and in what numbers should the state stock in order to turn the Raritan into a really top notch fishery? I know that there have been many species caught or recorded in the river but what species could the river best sustain? Or, should it just be left alone?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

River looks great! I gotta get down there sometime and do some exploring. Still wanna hit the millstone sometime as well but haven't had a chance to yet.....
Old 04-26-2018, 12:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
I admit to knowing very little or nothing about the main stem of the Raritan. It has always looked so imposing. I do know that it is stocked with trout through the stretch above Route 206, but is it stocked anywhere below there? I'm just curious how far it was from any stocking point where you caught the small rainbow. It's not that I'm looking to fish there but I'm wondering how far that fish might have swum from where it was stocked. Finally, in your opinion, what other kinds of fish and in what numbers should the state stock in order to turn the Raritan into a really top notch fishery? I know that there have been many species caught or recorded in the river but what species could the river best sustain? Or, should it just be left alone?
What fish are in there? Every fish imaginable if it swims in the Delaware it's in the Raritan too. Quite factual as the DnR canal basically feeds into the Raritan.

I've yet to see a snakehead in there tho. Flatheads definitely in the canal tho.

Trout, around now, can be found just about anywhere in the main stem too. found a nice sized one over 16 inches in Piscataway in Rutgers siene net.

Last stocking point is 206 but it doesnt mean much with how quick they spread out.

Many anadromous fish (especially currently)

Many tributaries of the Raritan are stocked with various fish that end up in there. Such as channel cats in ponds.

Imo if the state were to stock more than just spring trout in there, they should try obviously fall trout too, but try going big and attempt sea run browns which other nj rivers had been stocked for before.

Some say even salmon may be a good idea and possible.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Skunked in Somerville 4/25/18:

All I asked for was a 2 mile extension on spring trout stocking from the Rt. 206 bridge to Duke Park in Manville. The Rahway got a 4 mile extension on spring trout stocking. Fall stocking a 2 mile stretch at Duke Island Park through Raritan Borough. I have been asking for years.

Lower walleye limits from 3 to 2 or 1 since we rely on a self sustaining walleye population.

We did get half a million 4" rainbows stocked by the tide line in Piscataway last year, and yes we have caught trout all through the river.

Great thing about fishing the Raritan is you never know what you might catch.

River Herring numbers are way up as well as American Shad as per Rutgers field sampling.

There have been dramatic changes in water quality recently due to massive clean up efforts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ladder stats.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	121605   Click image for larger version

Name:	1150360_456119317820460_608598609_n.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	121606  
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would also like to see the moratorium dropped on American Shad fishing but keep a no kill status in place.

The sad part of all this is I get NO backing from any local Trout Unlimited groups or County Federated Sportsmen.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I agree with ending the No shad fishing regulations, but keeping it No kill.
My question is & I believe I have asked this of you before Andy, do you believe the trout are living year round in the lower stem? I firmly believe there are holes in the South & the North Branch that they can survive year round. I am not so sure of the lower stem. I am all about trout as the next guy. I only wonder if the lower stem fishing would benefit if the state stocked a different species that could be fished year round.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Also I do agree that the state should stock trout to the park in Manville on Dukes Parkway East only after testing the waters to make sure there is no extra pollutant, do to possible runoff of contaminated soils.
The river looks great please don't take it wrong. I only wonder if the effects of Johns Manville still linger.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We do really well in the late fall and early winter in the area from Somerville and upriver. I give trout a lot more credit than most in finding thermal refuge.
During droughts water gets pumped into the river via the S Branch from Round Valley.
The majority of contaminants are all but long gone.
The state said NO to stocking any toothy critters because of the low American Shad numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	121616  
Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Ahhhh.... That does make sense, with the state trying to bring back the number of shad coming up river. Then I think of the big D. We know there are some monster toothy beasts in there, & the shad runs continue to be strong. I guess the state biologists know best.
I give trout hella credit, I have done my own little research project in the S. Branch & can say for sure there are annual rainbow residents. The fall trout specifically seem to be able to seek out the deep waters that stay cool enough & are oxenigated by natural features in the river that churn up the waters. Little to no pressured areas of course seem to be key as well.
I guess I can take this chance & thank you. The river bottom is prestine, I rarely see a tire, & I know its because your group has been through. Thanks for what you do! I hope the state recognizes your efforts.

Last edited by RiverRat77; 04-26-2018 at 04:39 PM..