NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan river 3/15-16/20: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-17-2020, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Raritan river 3/15-16/20:

Took the 8 hour drive to New Jawsey and met up with Uncle Ken to do some fishing on the Raritan river. Got on the water bright and early around 8:30am at Duke Island Park in Raritan Borough. We fished up by the falls nothing, then down below the shale flats and started to put a pick of fish together. Amazing as the bug hatch was insane !! Bugs in my eyes, nose and ears, a good sign. We picked away for a while then headed down to Robert St where Ken ripped his already leaking waders on a bolt sticking out of a guardrail. Rolled one at Robert St, we tried Nevius St with no luck. Going on 1pm, time for beers and burgers at the Royal on Rt 22, good call. Ken went on his way and I went on to visit a few more friends while I was in town.
2/16- Hit the river near Bridgewater, Torpey section, fished down to Manville during the 48* chilly morning, nothing. Went back up to the scene of the crime and nailed a few below the falls and a few below the shale flats.
So now with all this being said I thought fishing was pretty good for mid March and the river was running warmer than normal. I thought most of the trout looked a little "not so colorful" for having spent the entire fall and winter in the river, then I find out the State is already stocking trout, now I feel like the punch line of a bad joke. BUT even with all that being said it was still nice to come up and fish the river, the Raritan Watershed that I will always call home.

A few side notes: saw a big bald eagle at Duke Island Park, that was pretty cool, caught a creek chub that looked like it just got away from a big Nothern Pike. Homesickness sucks, like always having a queasy feeling in the gut. Had Taylor ham egg and cheese, burgers and pizza during my stay !!
I think I was one of 5 guests staying at the Marriott in Bridgewater.

All river clean ups have been canceled (will make a separate post on that.)
Not sure what is going on with the Rutgers American Shad study at this moment but hope New Jersey American Water opens the fish ladder in a timely manner.
The 8 hour drive sux, back to biscuits and shopping at Harris Teeter.
Wishing everyone well, look at the photos and tell me if they are freshly stocked trout or not, thanx, AndyS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	140345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	140346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2027.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	140347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	140348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	140349  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	140350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	140351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	140352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2032.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	140353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	140354  

Last edited by AndyS; 03-18-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-17-2020, 07:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Raritan river 3/15-16/20:

Been waiting for your report! Glad you were able to get into some fish and enjoy your time HOME !
I thought the bite was on, but the last few times out on the Raritan it's been REAL tough, but the river always seems to do that to me . lol
I've caught trout in January and February exactly where you did and further downstream, so who knows!

Dan
Old 03-17-2020, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Raritan river 3/15-16/20:

Welcome home ya old goat! Haha! Those Trout definitely have the runway burn on the fins but not all of them. Hmmmmmm! This makes people wonder! Where are the Trout stockings happening?!?!? Glad to see you made it home and made the best of it! Did you bring a roll of Taylor Ham home with you?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

AndyS, the only guy willing to drive 8 hours to fish for NJ rainbow trout LOL

Was no doubt you were gonna pull some out of the BIG water. Id have to say none of those are freshly stocked. They'd be tinier ones like 7-9 inchers. All nice holdovers at least from this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Hmmmmmm! This makes people wonder! Where are the Trout stockings happening?!?!?
It's a mystery, and if word gets out, say goodbye to those trout
Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
AndyS, the only guy willing to drive 8 hours to fish for NJ rainbow trout LOL

Was no doubt you were gonna pull some out of the BIG water. Id have to say none of those are freshly stocked. They'd be tinier ones like 7-9 inchers. All nice holdovers at least from this fall.

It's a mystery, and if word gets out, say goodbye to those trout
It will rain! Trout will move! Trout will disappear on the Raritan as always. The cormorants will eat there fair share! The Eagles, Heron and land dwelling hunters will get a few as well. As for anglers on the Raritan on Opening day, rhere won’t be many Trkut caught as always. But somehow, some way those Rainbows always show up later in the season and there usually big. Those Trout are always there. Just gotta look in some strange places to find them. Like I said in another post. I catch Trout year long! They are always around and always have been.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
It will rain! Trout will move! Trout will disappear on the Raritan as always. The cormorants will eat there fair share! The Eagles, Heron and land dwelling hunters will get a few as well. As for anglers on the Raritan on Opening day, rhere won’t be many Trkut caught as always. But somehow, some way those Rainbows always show up later in the season and there usually big. Those Trout are always there. Just gotta look in some strange places to find them. Like I said in another post. I catch Trout year long! They are always around and always have been.
yessir, i think everyone in NJ has an experience with catching a random rainbow somewhere. ive heard of some crazy ones too, from tiny rainbows with parr marks in non-trout water, to big breeders caught in tiny creeks in the middle of summer. They find a way soon it'll be our state fish lol
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well done on some well rounded holdovers!!!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Taylor Ham
Come on guys!!!!

PORK ROLL
LOL
We miss you too Andy . Especially the Raritan.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Glad to see you caught some and had a good time!! My grandpa was/is a frequent at the Royal, Big Jims favorite spot

Some of those trout look like holdovers to me, while others look more like stockies. HMMMMM
Old 03-18-2020, 05:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Raritan river 3/15-16/20:

Sorry I'm Central/North Jawsey, Taylor ham

Even stopped in at Spikes in Point Beach and got some flounder, scallops, shrimp and Manhattan clam chowdah before going to my sisters house in Tome River.