NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

24v single battery - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-05-2022, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 24v single battery

does anyone use a single 24v battery for 24v motor needs? Or use 2 12v to create 24v power. I am about to upgrade motor and seems easy to buy 1 $$$$ 24v than 2 12v.
thanks
Old 07-06-2022, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 24v single battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godrew1972 View Post
does anyone use a single 24v battery for 24v motor needs? Or use 2 12v to create 24v power. I am about to upgrade motor and seems easy to buy 1 $$$$ 24v than 2 12v.
thanks
I'm using two 135 AH AGM batteries.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:27 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I think two 12 volts wired in series may be the way to go since they are more popular, less expensive and readily available if you get in a pinch and need to replace them..

Make sure you get true deep cycle ones since many are labeled marine or RV but are not true deep cycles...

Look for ones that are used in golf carts like this https://www.amazon.com/Trojan-T-1275...7117025&sr=8-8

If you have a few extra $$ laying around you could go with Lithium Ion. They are lighter, charge much faster than lead acid or AGM and can be drained down to 0% without harming the batteries. With AGM or Lead acid you should not drain down below 50% so you really only get half the advertised amp hours. The only draw backs are these batteries don't like extreme cold so they should be stored indoors over the winter and you need a battery charger that supports the Lithium Ion charging profile.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-06-2022, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I wanted something to run my 80# Minn Kota terrova on my pontoon, but did not want to have to deal with 2- heavy acid batteries or rig on-board chargers..so i bit the bullet and bought a Dakota 24v lithium.. about $1k with the charger.. couldn't be happier with the decision.. I've run it almost non-stop for 8+ hours at a time using spot-lock, and positioning the boat..and have never drawn it down below 70%.. It weighs a bit over 30lbs...less than my tackle bag.. so I just take it home and charge it with the free charger it came with.. The clincher for me was the 11 year warrantee.. The acid batteries Jerry links to are almost $400 each..and weigh 83lbs each... so $800 to get your 24 volts..and 160lbs added to your boat.. plus a charger if you don't already have one.. they don't mention a warrantee, but most acid batteries are only covered for a couple years at most.. so I figure to come out ahead in the long run.. but the convenience of a single, relatively lightweight battery is well worth the initial expense to me..
Old 07-06-2022, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks gents, pretty much the opinions I was looking for. I prefer the single battery for convenience and space and weight on boat. Price spread out over the years seems worth it. I’m going with a 70 or 80lb motor.
Again, thanks