NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The slow death of Party Boats - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: The slow death of Party Boats

In 1938 my Dad, Charlie Dodd, began running the first party boat in Shark River, the Optimist. I was born in 1945 and by 1950 I was standing on soda crates to reach over the rail. I remember going to the dock early and the boat was railed elbow to elbow and the guys saying "let's go fishing Cap". There was no internet so we went in some pretty crappy weather too. And catch fish we did. It was all Loran A, pulling out the charts and and old paper chart plotter. A lot of it was time and course running. I remember the Deal and Spring Lake pounds with a few guys tending to them. There was very little pressure on the fish stock. Cod fish on the Lucky Strike just a couple miles east of SR inlet. You could make 3 or 4 whiting trips a day on a good day.
Different times for sure. I have to think pressure is the biggest factor. So many boats pounding the fish. Hoping the business holds on and the fish can rebound.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Pops used to take me out on the Miss Belmar 2 and Big Marie S 2 my first few times and I still hit a few Point Pleasant party boats every year with my friends or daughter. My daughter and I will surely miss the Cock Robin this year. I don't believe there is a family friendly crew like that left in the NJ fleet.

Party boats are great but then again so are charters and open boats. I prefer Party boats in rough seas and cold weather, I prefer 6 pack open boats for meat trips, and 6 pack charters for family/friends/co-worker trips who would prefer a more comfortable boat.

I believe there are more options for the consumer today compared to 15+ years ago when it was just party and charter boats. I would ask what have the party boats done to stay relevant in changing fishing and economic times?

Now forget the regulations, government, fish stock stuff...I believe those are all excuses. Its up to parents to take their kids out fishing. Get them off the electronics, get them up early and teach them responsibility and life skills. If today's parents pass down what our parents passed down to us then we will help keep the industry alive.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Early 80's on the Jet outta Sheepshead Bay. Dinner plate porgies abound. Contrary to the name the boat was not fast. Boy does time fly. I remember sheepshead bay was loaded with party boats. Now just a handful.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Is the cock robin going somewhere?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
Is the cock robin going somewhere?
CR sold. Capt Jim on the GE now

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

First two boats I fished on was the original Yank out of PP in the middle fifties. And the first Skipper out of Neptune. We fished for giant porgies. It was a slaughter.
But the fishing bug really got me fishing all night for whiting and ling on Long Branch pier. My father took my mom, my brother, and me to the pier almost every week-end. We had food, drinks and Army cots to sleep on. He always set them up on the lee side of the big wooden lean to. My brother and I never made it half a night because we were very little kids. Between the cold and wind we were knocked out and sleeping by 1:00 am. When we awoke my Dad, and everyone else, had garbage cans full of big ling and whiting. The pier cost $1.25 and they gave you a free frozen mackerel for bait. Capt. Barry Gold once told me he was the man who supplied the pier with those mackerel. On the way home we would stop at either Roy's Smoke house or the other place in AH which was Leroys. My father would trade two fresh whiting for one smoked one. Usually it was 20 for 10. Today I still love smoked whiting. They now cost $9.99 a lb. Unreal. Three years ago they cost $2.99 a lb.
The pier was a kool place that holds a lot of fishing memories for me. I wish it was still there so thousand of kids also could enjoy it.

Last edited by Cuz; 04-04-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Cock Robin is now the Captain Cal II
Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow. First I heard of the robin being gone. She will be missed. Good luck to her new owners!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How many Charter boats can say they are full time? As far as the Party Boats always having 20 or 40 is ridiculous. If they don't sail some days when only a handfull of regulars show they would loose them. The ''Open boat" deal may be good for getting in a quick individual trip for the fisherman but makes it tough on the Captain and mate. How many Charter captains can promise a mate full time employment? There are a few but it is a tough way to earn a living.The party boats will survive because they are affordable and family orientated. The bag limits and closed seasons will scare away new Capts.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lets not forget timing. Boat fulls of regulars on Saturday and Sunday don't mean anything the other five days a week. Especially now. And more people fighting for the two day a week fare bonanza means many will fail over time.

As in the past. There is cheap and dirty. And there are people you go out of the way for to use.

Many think getting a OUPV is their ticket to riches. HARDLY! IT's a short season here in NE. Boat costs must be covered, repairs, and what's left is your salary. Did chartering out of Shark River for 3 seasons. It's not fun, and it's NOT LUCRATIVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
How many Charter boats can say they are full time? As far as the Party Boats always having 20 or 40 is ridiculous. If they don't sail some days when only a handfull of regulars show they would loose them. The ''Open boat" deal may be good for getting in a quick individual trip for the fisherman but makes it tough on the Captain and mate. How many Charter captains can promise a mate full time employment? There are a few but it is a tough way to earn a living.The party boats will survive because they are affordable and family orientated. The bag limits and closed seasons will scare away new Capts.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber