NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

My First Hand Gun - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: My First Hand Gun

Any thoughts on various guns from Sig Sauer ? shot the 365xl, was thinking of 226 or 320 (M18)..365xl seems a little snappy, wondering if my wife would be more confortable with the 320. Handle is much fatter though.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:51 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Sig has a great reputation but I have no first hand knowledge other than shooting a friends.

If I were you, I would get it and some others in her hands and see which she finds more comfortable. If you're looking for something compact I would also look at the Glock 43X and the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield. The only thing people have mixed opinions on is the safety on the Smith and Wesson being in the backstrap ... I settled on the 43X for my wife.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-07-2022, 05:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Shot the Shield , it's a possibility. Just liked the 365xl better. Ultimately whatever she feels more comfortable with I will wind up getting. Prob go to local range and rent a few. Just wanted to try and narrow it down a bit ahead of time. Buddy has the Shield , really likes it. Think I may try and talk her into a full size gun so she isnt dealing with as much recoil.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Sig 226 is by far my favorite semi auto handgun that I have... great weight with less recoil .... excellent quality ..... I also have the Sig 365 XL Spectre which I bought to be a concealed carry gun.... super little quality accurate gun but definitely have to hold it tight since it doesn't have the weight to tame the recoil .... Some Berettas and Caniks are full sized, shoot really well and not as pricey as Sigs
Old 02-08-2022, 04:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at Canik , but my thoughts are leaning towards the p320(M17), if it's good enough for the Seals, it'll be perfect to me. If my wife is comfortable with it, i think its a done deal.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:50 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I'm a fan. Had a p239. Have a p365, p365XL, and a p320 X5 Legion. Awesome guns.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Look at a Sig P938 before you decide.. Great quality, small light, accurate, ultra dependable.. 9 mm..

Unlike polymer guns, the Sig P938 and P 238[.380] are all metal, yet are still small and light.. light recoil..

I have a bunch of handguns that I carry daily... [unrestricted permit in NY state], and the Sigs are the best out of all hand guns I own and that includes pistols by Ruger,S&W, Beretta, Keltec...My wife also has several handguns and only one she has carried for years, a Sig P238[.380].. If you want a polymer frame nothing out there will outperform a S&W M&P Shield.. We have them in 9mm and .380, and they are accurate, dependable, well built, shoot and operate easy, and are priced right compared to a Sig.. Can't go wrong either way.... bob
Old 02-15-2022, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you for the advice