NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Gopro cameras - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Gopro cameras

I'm interested in possibly getting a waterproof GoPro for Christmas to document some fishing trips. What models do you guys own that have them and what do you recommend? I'm not looking to spend more then $200, just gonna be used for fishing. I am considering the "Hero Hd Waterproof Action Camera" from GoPro.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Gopro cameras

My Hero 3 White (with waterproof case included) cost $200. However, I did have to spend extra on accessories. The camera only comes with one battery, and if you plan on shooting more than about 2 hours at a time, you will need to buy extras (after-market batteries are cheaper and last just as long, at about $10 apiece). If you want a head- or chest-strap mount, that will run you another $10. A memory card is not included, so you will have to buy one. Prices for Micro SD cards are always coming down, but they are still about $0.50 to $1 per GB, and 1 GB is good for about 10 minutes of video, so you’re probably looking at a 16 or 32 GB card.

On the subject of performance, while I love my GoPro, it has its limitations. For one thing, it cannot zoom in. It also has a wide-angle lens that makes things look very far away. For example, a bald eagle sitting in a tree 50 feet away may look larger than life to you, but will barely show up as a speck on the video. Also, the audio capture is horrible, and that’s with the standard case; it is nearly nonexistent in the waterproof case. It will pick up your voice just fine if you are wearing the camera, but any sound more than five feet away will be muted, getting progressively more so the farther away it is. You will need an editing program to boost the sound (and cut the clips together if you want). GoPro has their own free program you can download. I have never used it (I have Adobe Premier, which runs about $50), so I don’t know how good it is.

Hopefully this will help you make your decision. I love mine, but it’s not right for everyone. If you’re just looking for home movie-style recording of memories, it will certainly do the trick. If you’re looking for professional fishing show quality, you will be disappointed. If you do get one, we’d love to see some of your videos!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

http://www.gearbest.com/action-camer...HrXBoCUBDw_wcB

I have two of these. They work fine and a lot cheaper. Available on Amazon and ebay or straight from china.

Check out my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2s...n43EItA/videos
Old 10-20-2015, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

those are some good looking dudes in the va beach video

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 10-21-2015, 08:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
If you’re just looking for home movie-style recording of memories, it will certainly do the trick. If you’re looking for professional fishing show quality, you will be disappointed. If you do get one, we’d love to see some of your videos!
Yes, I'm just looking for a recording, nothing fancy. I don't intend to be the next John Skinner of youtube

Quote:
http://www.gearbest.com/action-camer...HrXBoCUBDw_wcB

I have two of these. They work fine and a lot cheaper. Available on Amazon and ebay or straight from china.

Check out my videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2s...n43EItA/videos
Those videos look great. Are those cameras normally $70ish? Says regular price $190 but looks like a marketing scheme. For that price I may pick it up now instead of getting it as a gift for Christmas.