NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

South Branch stream restoration: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up South Branch stream restoration:

http://vimeo.com/46837164
Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: South Branch stream restoration:

Cool video. That's up in Califon right?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Don't quit understand what they are doing. It looks like they took a natural flowing stream and rearranged it to look like a natural flowing stream. Did they take out any man made obstructions or what constitutes restoration?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: South Branch stream restoration:

Notice @ 3:15 at all of the fish schooling up and taking off from area!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
maddhatterr

here we go again getting in the way of mother nature....take down the dams and let the rivers do there thing........fighting flowing water is a lost cause.......i just hope this wasn't paid for by us the tax payers
Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah I kind hate when we think we can improve things. I saw a Fairfield Township Excavator parked along the Passaic today. It had been very busy ripping out fallen trees from the river - the same trees which offer up the rivers gamefish(bass, channel cats & pike) the best cover. WTF? Now they'll tell you its to help ease the flood problems the township has had but someone needs to tell them that when you get 14" of rain in 6 days(like last year), your going to have major flooding trees or no trees.

As for the SBRR I kind of agree that mother nature will do the best job. That section is also club water(they even have cameras) so I wonder why fix that up if u can't even fish there? Better off addressing other areas of the SBRR which are open to the public.

And please get rid of that Califon dam. Water quality would be so much better w/o it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That stretch used to be open to the public but it's posted now. I have to assume the work was done with a grant or some other funding. Work was done on parts of the Musky with Federal money. The first project was on the property of the Musky Trout Hatchery stretch. The last one was on the public access part of the Musky. Silting has been held in check. Fish feeding lanes were created. Trout holding areas were deepened and improved. River flow was improved and the fishing returned to areas that had deteriorated.
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious about how much silt was swept downstream. It won't take long for fishermen to show up downstream from there after a heavy rain to see what flushes out from the new stretch.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Stream restoration = removing natural pools, riffles, rocks, breaks etc., and making a slightly deeper obstruction free passage of water.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im actually glad they've been workin the Passaic. You can tell were they have and havnt done work by the "fishability" of certain areas. So they're takin out the bigger obstructions that make fishing and boating difficult. There's still cover, and more importantly, the fish are still there.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I saw the excavator on the Passaic River.

They have been pulling out blown down trees all through the Fairfield/Montville/Park section of the river.

I think they may be wasting their time and our money but that's what government is good at.

They are still putting up new houses in the worst of the flood plains in Fairfield so they haven't learned a thing since Hurricane Irene.