NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Muskie advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Muskie advice

Just started two weeks ago, 5 trips, moved fish on 4. Hooked into a beauty on a figure 8 boat side only for it to jump twice and spit my spinner. I feel like I am spooking fish boatside, as I have seen them get view of me and the boat and take off. I know Muskie fishing is a game of efficiency( and heartbreak) and I want to make sure I’m being efficient as possible. Any tips as to maybe going into my figure 8 deeper?? Also how to work a suick into an 8?? Short jerks?

Sincerely,
Frustrated
Old 10-04-2019, 01:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Muskie advice

if you moved fish on 4 out of 5 trips you're doing great, just keep going. put a smaller lure into your arsenal, i've had days that even the big ones prefer a 5-6" lure (many of them are very used to eating a lot of herring).

for the figure 8 i'd bet you're not spooking them but when you hesitate or slow down at all going into it or turning, they will bail out on you. make sure you have a smooth speeding up transition going into it and you make big wide turns. I still can't do it great every time, it's tough to maintain that kind of concentration after a few hours of seeing no action!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
if you moved fish on 4 out of 5 trips you're doing great, just keep going. put a smaller lure into your arsenal, i've had days that even the big ones prefer a 5-6" lure (many of them are very used to eating a lot of herring).

for the figure 8 i'd bet you're not spooking them but when you hesitate or slow down at all going into it or turning, they will bail out on you. make sure you have a smooth speeding up transition going into it and you make big wide turns. I still can't do it great every time, it's tough to maintain that kind of concentration after a few hours of seeing no action!
Thanx for the feedback!! I just got a couple 6” glidebaits in whitefish pattern, so hoping to trigger some more action with those . Also upgraded to an 8’6 Okuma to help with with my 8’s, that rod feels great!! felt sloppy going into my 8 with the 7’. Your not lying about the concentration!! Seems like they hit when your mind wanders after 5 hours of casting lol. Hopefully I’ll be posting some pics soon. TIGHT LINES!!!!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

X2 on what chrisper said. If you are seeing that many fish,you are on target. Keep at it , remember you are not fishing for sunnies! Keep us posted.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Not trying to jump on the bandwagon but as far as I’m concerned the best advice is keep doing what your doing! If you have been seeing that many fish you are doing something right! Musky fishing has been the worst addiction I’ve ever had, I’ve been loosing the battle for about 10 years now! Lol!!! I fish for them quite a bit and on average land about 15 a year. I’m no expert Musky fisherman but in my opinion if I was you I would keep doing what you are doing, Fir me a lot of times it takes just a small speed adjustment to trigger the attack! If i get a follow and the fish just swims away I have found if I just move on and come back to that area 20-30 minutes later and burn the same lure through the area or a fast/stop fast/stop retrieve my percentage of catching that fish is much higher than if I stayed there and kept fishing for it. It’s a frustrating fish to chase but landing one makes you forget about the last 20 hours of unsuccessful casting! Good luck and just remember we are entering the best time of the year to be hunting Musky’d