NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

End of the year report - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-06-2022, 03:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: End of the year report

Do you eat any of the walleye and perch that you catch ?

Last edited by AndyS; 01-06-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Old 01-06-2022, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: End of the year report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
I know a guy that moved from NJ to guide cyuga lake (spelling?) he doesn't troll...fishes similarly to how we fish the deep lake trout lakes here... jigging and casting for smallmouth and lake trout... gets a good amount of salmon or browns (can't remember which) and musky too sometimes.
If its who I'm thinking of, its Salmon! hahaha
Old 01-06-2022, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I know a guy that moved from NJ to guide cyuga lake (spelling?) he doesn't troll...fishes similarly to how we fish the deep lake trout lakes here... jigging and casting for smallmouth and lake trout... gets a good amount of salmon or browns (can't remember which) and musky too sometimes.
No Muskies in Cayuga..The "deep" Lake Trout lakes in NJ are 60 feet and a mile or two long.. Cayuga is 435 feet deep and 40 miles long... You can catch fish jigging, but trollers outcatch jiggers by a wide margin... There is one or two guys that guide here jigging for lakers, but the SMB in Cayuga is dead... there was a massive die off of SMB, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Carp, Bullheads Suckers, Perch,Pike, Pickerel, due to VHS, and in much of the lake they never recovered.. In the 90's it was nothing to catch 100 rock bass to 12 inches, along with dozens of big SMB, huge sunnies and perch, just with a worm and bobber.. The big die off was massive... They used bucket loaders and trucks to take the huge piles of dead fish off the shorelines.. Then the Gobies came, and now nothing can reproduce.. As soon as any fish nests, the nest is attacked by hundreds of gobies.. There are videos on YT.. The fish cannot reproduce... I haven't caught a sunfish in Cayuga in about 13 years.. I caught 2 rock bass there last year, the first since 2008.. They say the north end of the lake isn't as bad with gobies as its mud/sand bottom, but I dunno.. I was there last year and the bottom was simpy swarming with them.. What has happened to the fishing in this section of NY is a shame..

Most guys here aren't even aware because they troll only, and since the alewives are still ok, and lake trout eat gobies, all is well.. The fish are stocked, and grow quickly, and are caught most readily by trollers...

Any species that lives near shore and is not stocked is either gone or close to it... Nothing can be done at this point really.. All the invasives are well established, and the system is part of the Great lakes .. all connected.. Next up??... Grass Carp.... bob
Old 01-07-2022, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
No Muskies in Cayuga..The "deep" Lake Trout lakes in NJ are 60 feet and a mile or two long.. Cayuga is 435 feet deep and 40 miles long... You can catch fish jigging, but trollers outcatch jiggers by a wide margin... There is one or two guys that guide here jigging for lakers, but the SMB in Cayuga is dead... there was a massive die off of SMB, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Carp, Bullheads Suckers, Perch,Pike, Pickerel, due to VHS, and in much of the lake they never recovered.. In the 90's it was nothing to catch 100 rock bass to 12 inches, along with dozens of big SMB, huge sunnies and perch, just with a worm and bobber.. The big die off was massive... They used bucket loaders and trucks to take the huge piles of dead fish off the shorelines.. Then the Gobies came, and now nothing can reproduce.. As soon as any fish nests, the nest is attacked by hundreds of gobies.. There are videos on YT.. The fish cannot reproduce... I haven't caught a sunfish in Cayuga in about 13 years.. I caught 2 rock bass there last year, the first since 2008.. They say the north end of the lake isn't as bad with gobies as its mud/sand bottom, but I dunno.. I was there last year and the bottom was simpy swarming with them.. What has happened to the fishing in this section of NY is a shame..

Most guys here aren't even aware because they troll only, and since the alewives are still ok, and lake trout eat gobies, all is well.. The fish are stocked, and grow quickly, and are caught most readily by trollers...

Any species that lives near shore and is not stocked is either gone or close to it... Nothing can be done at this point really.. All the invasives are well established, and the system is part of the Great lakes .. all connected.. Next up??... Grass Carp.... bob
He def outfishes the trollers jigging trust me on that one… jigs them at will multiple headers consistently, insane. As for the smb and muskie, it could be a nearby lake i never asked, but it’s consistent too and the smb are big. Muskie mostly smaller.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-07-2022, 10:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Do you eat any of the walleye and perch that you catch ?
Sometimes
Old 01-07-2022, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Sometimes
#delicious #clapthemcheeks
Old 01-07-2022, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
He def outfishes the trollers jigging trust me on that one… jigs them at will multiple headers consistently, insane. As for the smb and muskie, it could be a nearby lake i never asked, but it’s consistent too and the smb are big. Muskie mostly smaller.
If you can get on them jigging lakers can be very good in Cayuga... When they are suspended and on bait, it can be tough unless you troll.. When the bait is oriented close to bottom, and shallow say under 125 feet, you can get a lot of them...

SMB? I would have to see it to believe it.. They have been decimated in Cayuga.. I have not caught a single one in about 13-14 years.. I used to catch 30- 40 in a morning, standing on shore , never moving 50 feet from where I started. For YEARS until the 2008 die off..

If he is catching Muskies, they are not pure strain, they have to be Tigers, and I think Otisco Lake is where he's getting them.. Thats a smaller finger lake, managed for Tigers,and although it does have invasive mussels, I don't believe the Gobies have made it there as yet. The bass and other warm water fish can still spawn there.. The reason the lakers are ok in Cayuga is because they are stocked and have plenty of food, and they eat gobies, so it has actually increased their food supply.

Cayuga is stocked annually with approximately 60,000 lake trout, 25,000 brown trout and 40,000 Atlantic salmon.,,,,bob
Old 01-08-2022, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
If you can get on them jigging lakers can be very good in Cayuga... When they are suspended and on bait, it can be tough unless you troll.. When the bait is oriented close to bottom, and shallow say under 125 feet, you can get a lot of them...

SMB? I would have to see it to believe it.. They have been decimated in Cayuga.. I have not caught a single one in about 13-14 years.. I used to catch 30- 40 in a morning, standing on shore , never moving 50 feet from where I started. For YEARS until the 2008 die off..

If he is catching Muskies, they are not pure strain, they have to be Tigers, and I think Otisco Lake is where he's getting them.. Thats a smaller finger lake, managed for Tigers,and although it does have invasive mussels, I don't believe the Gobies have made it there as yet. The bass and other warm water fish can still spawn there.. The reason the lakers are ok in Cayuga is because they are stocked and have plenty of food, and they eat gobies, so it has actually increased their food supply.

Cayuga is stocked annually with approximately 60,000 lake trout, 25,000 brown trout and 40,000 Atlantic salmon.,,,,bob
Yes tigers