NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Plugs First Time - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Plugs First Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Question on pinching the barbs on treb hooks. Do you pinch all three barbs down or just two? The concept as I understand it is if you don't pinch the barbs and you break off a fish and one hook is lodged in a lower jaw and one in the upper jaw, the fish won't be able to eat and will die. If you leave only one barb intact and pinch the other two that should never happen plus you'll have a better chance of landing that trophy fish once you hook it if you have the non-pinched barb in its jaw. If you break off, that single barbed hook will eventually rust or fall out and I would think would cause little harm if any to the fish. I've never pinched all three and in many cases have gone to a single hook for the same reason but curious what people's thoughts are on the subject.
Ive seen completely barbless treble hooks still get stuck in fish. Two and even all three hook points can lodge into the corner of the mouth awkwardly and be pretty difficult to remove.

I just pinch all three down; the point is to not worry about barbs at all, like if one gets caught inside me.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Theres no gear restrictions on "Trout-Stocked Streams — Wild Brown Trout Managed"

They only limit the # of brown trout being kept.
Why they stock where there's wild trout? Likely because these streams are already popular for anglers looking for stocked fish, removing them would probably piss off more ppl than benefit the few that like wild trout populations.

They did however removed stockings from less-popular streams with wild browns.
It is a good thing they quit stocking the less popular streams, even though I felt the loss of stocked rainbows in the Hakihokake deeply, and I imagine other anglers might have felt similarly about other streams. I was just saying if they were completely serious about wild brown management, they would cease stocking, but I take your point. "Completely" serious can be viewed as taking the popularity of the stocking program to mind, also. (It's not as if I am naive and actually believe they would stop stocking the stream I fished. I just think that in an ideal world, they might; this world certainly is not that.)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Theres no gear restrictions on "Trout-Stocked Streams — Wild Brown Trout Managed"

They only limit the # of brown trout being kept.
Why they stock where there's wild trout? Likely because these streams are already popular for anglers looking for stocked fish, removing them would probably piss off more ppl than benefit the few that like wild trout populations.

They did however removed stockings from less-popular streams with wild browns.
After I answered Andy yesterday, I thought it might have been mindful of me to have actually read thoroughly the notice about wild browns I mentioned. I guess the job gets me so thoroughly jaded, that I didn't want to stop and take any more notice than the big print. (Certainly not to say I failed to pay attention to nature and the fishing.)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Plugs First Time

It’s all about fish handling. I caught that big Rainbow 3 times in 4 years. I’ve caught it twice on plugs with no barbs pushed down and once on a jig. Others here have caught that fish and it’s still alive. I say plug away where it’s available. Gotta be careful which line you cross because certain rivers have 1 too many regulations in my opinion. Although I oppose to some of them I will still follow them. There’s theories, opinions and rules! I’m all for the rules even if they suck 50% of the time. Plug away, plug away! The jig is always good if your not sure where the invisible boundary line is........
Old 01-06-2021, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
It’s all about fish handling. I caught that big Rainbow 3 times in 4 years. I’ve caught it twice on plugs with no barbs pushed down and once on a jig. Others here have caught that fish and it’s still alive. I say plug away where it’s available. Gotta be careful which line you cross because certain rivers have 1 too many regulations in my opinion. Although I oppose to some of them I will still follow them. There’s theories, opinions and rules! I’m all for the rules even if they suck 50% of the time. Plug away, plug away! The jig is always good if your not sure where the invisible boundary line is........
You sold me on the plugs, Eddie, and I thank you for that. A very enjoyable time.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The plug is the drug