NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opening Day, Big Golden....... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Opening Day, Big Golden.......

River tarpon that is, lol.

Had a river excursion planned with my bro for a while and didn't want to tangle lines with the big crowds so we hit the river around 10. Started off skunked at one spot and headed to another. Soon after I had a nice 30" pike follow a jerk bait in and smash it right in front of me. After a poor hookup and a decent battle I reached down to grab him and he released himself. But at least I kept my lure!

Not to long after my bro got hit by a smaller pike that looked like it had just recently escaped being the lunch of a bigger pike. Even with the wounds it still had lots of energy. Made me happy to know there a big enough fish there to go after an 18-20" fish!!!! One of these days ill get em........

Fishing slowed for a bit and I saw some carp splashin around so I threw on a small hook and a couple kernels of corn. About ten mins later my pole started flexin so I grabbed it, set the hook, and let the drag rip!!!!! Pulled in a nice golden river tarpon, lol.

Left the river and took a short trip to a "bonus" pond around 5pm and it was still packed.Threw spinners for a while and left. Went back to the river to settle the score from earlier. Ended up hooking up with a short but chunky pike and called it a day.

Glad the season is officially open, good luck out there everyone!!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Opening Day, Big Golden.......

Nice!! Good Report Dude, Its Only Gonna Get Better From Here On Out
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Opening Day, Big Golden.......

Nice catches and report! I'm hoping to wet a line tomorrow and catch some "river tarpons" myself. Haven't had a chance to get out there too much this year. But with the warmer weather approaching I am hoping to get out there more and share some reports and pics!! The couple times I have been all I caught was the skunk.

Tight lines!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Opening Day, Big Golden.......

Best report of the day. Great job G!!! 2 THUMBS UP!!!