NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sonar / fish finder recommendations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Sonar / fish finder recommendations

I would like to spend about $1,500 on a fish finder. Looking for recommendations on what the best units are.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sonar / fish finder recommendations

Don't know what kind of setup you have but...first off assuming you are looking freshwater since it is on this forum...at that price point I'd get two $700 units and put one at the console and one at the bow trolling motor. Today's units at that price point have just about everything you could think of. 7 to 9 inch screens, down/side imaging, traditional sonar, GPS, Mapping, even make your own lake maps while on the water, smart phone sync, trolling motor connectivity, chirp, etc, etc, etc. Don't know what more you could need for freshwater to spend $1,500 other than a bigger screen. Having that second unit at the trolling motor is an awesome thing. And all brands in that $700 and up range are gonna be pretty much the same from a quality perspective. Lowrance, Hummingbird, Garmin, etc. So I'd say go to a place that has them all and play around with them to see which brand works best for you.

Again don't know your setup but that'd be my suggestion.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names. Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin, Humminbird,etc. The "Best" is the one that has the features you want.

I agree with the previous post. You can get a LOT of fishfinder for $700. I can't imagine a need for something more for freshwater unless you are fishing the Great Lakes. Two $700 units will probably be more useful.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i've been happy with my lowrance hds-7 gen3 w/ the totalscan transducer. it does regular sonar + downscan + sidescan, controls the trolling motor, etc. the new version they have now is the hds-7 carbon, right around your price range.

i started with one of the ~$700 ones (elite-ti) as mentioned above but only took it out one trip before i decided that the higher end one was the way to go. whichever way you go, make sure that the one you get has all the features you might want. buy once, cry once.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I went from a simple small black and white basic ff to a 700 (on sale for about $520) humminbird helix 7 and i honestly couldn't image needing anything more from a fish finder. seems like every year the come out with a gimmick (like with the smart phones) to get as many suckers as possible to upgrade.

my advice would be to get a model that's 2-3 years old that has everything you need (side image, down image, etc whatever you personally want) save yourself probably $200-300.

also just fyi i'm pretty sure hummin bird products usually don't come with map cards and lowrance usually don't come with the upgraded transducer (i.e. side imaging) so either way you'll be shelling out another $100-150 if you want the full package.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 06-08-2018, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have the Lowrance elite ti 5. I wish it was a 7. Otherwise it does what I want but i’m still learning.
From experience Lowrance support is way better than the bird. These things are not simple devices. You will need support.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would recommend the Humminbird Helix 9 SI G2N with mega side and down imaging. The mega side is a game changer for sure. It also has autochart live that makes an incredibly detailed map as you fish. It's also easy to use. Have it on my kayak for 2 years now and love it! Think it runs about $1,300 now.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information. I currently use a Vexilar flasher (that is really meant for ice fishing). I have a Lowrance X-15 paper chart recorder (boy am I dating myself) and still have a bit of graph paper left over. I am going to use the X-15 until I use up all the paper and then get a new sonar unit. Graph paper is expensive and the newer chirp units are probably far superior to the X-15.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_fish View Post
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information. I currently use a Vexilar flasher (that is really meant for ice fishing). I have a Lowrance X-15 paper chart recorder (boy am I dating myself) and still have a bit of graph paper left over. I am going to use the X-15 until I use up all the paper and then get a new sonar unit. Graph paper is expensive and the newer chirp units are probably far superior to the X-15.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_fish View Post
Paper machines are fine , many new features on current machines are state of the art but paper is simple and accurate , not too much of a learning curve like new product !
I ran my FM 22 D Furuno for 20 seasons 6" paper on 2 boats once paper ran out I replaced with updated model never felt I was outta the game especially with my plotters n GPS units or Loran A & later C back then ! FF coordinates your locations and let's u know ur on the fish , navigation is what gets there !