NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mulberry BLAST!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-20-2020, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Mulberry BLAST!!

Been hittin the river lately mainly targeting carp, with some casts here & there for some river wolves as well. Have had great numbers of carp with the mulberries being the main course and surpisingly all common carp. I catch fish all year, but when the mulberries start dropping, hands down, all I am looking for is carp! Was able to have Tunanut & company over to the spot to see if we get a few for his son as a slimy birthday present. So with the tree doing the chumming, we showed him how to rig up properly and within no time he had his 1st berry carp! With that being as cool as it was, me and his Dad shot the breeze while he stayed focused baiting up and watching the movements in the water. Out of nowhere he hooks another and this was the one we were looking for! After a bit of a fight, we saw the size the big girl had and could only wait, adrenaline pumping, till she got close enough to net. He fought her like a pro, and was able to land this 31 1/2" beast of a carp!!! The smile he had was huge! The camaraderie shared after was even greater! I can't say I've ever felt better about someone else's catch than I did after that! I didn't catch squat, but had a blast! Big sorry to Tunanut. The amount of soap & sanitizer he will need to get the juice off his fingers will only last until the berries are gone. Thanks for coming, it was awesome!!! His mask blended a little too well with the flora, lol!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Mulberry BLAST!!

Simple awesome. He'll never forget that!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A HUGE thank you to esox. He really made my son’s birthday a memorable
One. My son will never forget this. Pure joy for him, and me too. Esox your kindness and unselfishness are a special thing. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2020, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well done esox, putting that young man on fish for his birthday is priceless you are good peps for sure. I always fish on my birthday as well it is sort of a tradition with me. I have gone fishing on my birthday ever since i got my canoe for my 14th b-day that canoe is the one i fish out of to this day. great report bro
Old 06-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Site Sponsor

Very Nice 👍
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good stuff guys. What kind of rig do you run the berries on?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-22-2020, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Mulberry BLAST!!

Helping out another angler is a beautiful thing! That’s what’s up! Great looking Carp!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I used to walk the bank of the Passaic River with a tub of berries looking for carp.....or find a mulberry tree ON the river. Would just lob them out on a small hook twisted around the stem. Ultralight—-4lb. Test......Awesome......could take 10-12 fish out from under a single tree. Very intelligent.....,they would rip drag all way across river.....into a fallen tree and break me off. Bar none....fastest way to carp fish......no weight.....no waiting.....lob out...plop it in count to 3.....hooked up.....fish on. Great fun and practice battling big fish on light gear.....some battles could go 15-20 minutes or longer. Best time early June when trees are putting out berries......
Old 06-22-2020, 09:53 PM
dakota560

Esox just a great report. Love reading posts like this. Kudos to you and tunanut. Awesome carp for the young man! Congrats!

Everyone should make it a point to take a kid fishing at least once a year. There's no better feeling, teaches kids so many important values and will be a life altering experience for many of them.

Just fyi, never tried the mulberries but next year is the next 17-yr cicada brood. Remember in 2004 when they were all over the South Mountain reservation, every fish in a reservoir, lake or the Passaic were gorging on them. Carp, bass, catfish, pan fish everything were keyed on them when they fell from the trees. Just grab one like muskynut mentioned, no weight, small hook through the thorax or abdomen, and just drop it next to the bank near a tree and hold on. Like dry fly fishing with a huge bug. 20 / 25 lb. carp would come up and just slurp them down. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Again Esox .........great post! You're a good man! I'm sure behind that bruiser of a carp was a mile wide smile......awesome!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yea, it was definitely a blast! Thanks for coming out guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Good stuff guys. What kind of rig do you run the berries on?
Just like Capt. said, nothing fancy, just a size 4. Right into the stem. Gets em' to hold on better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Helping out another angler is a beautiful thing! That’s what’s up! Great looking Carp!
It was great! I'm not sure who was more pumped! Definitely a beautiful thing!!