NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Keepin' it poppin' - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-14-2020, 07:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Keepin' it poppin'

Been throwing the homemade popper at almost every spot I go to lately. Have had some good success with it and decided to throw on a bigger hook on to try for some teeth. Was able to move a few around and oddly enough the popper was the only offering they wanted that day. Nothing crazy, but stayed busy and had a blast with it!
With the high temps the following day, I decided to get off the Passaic and get to some clean water spot I found in the woods so I can take a dip while fishing. The popper got to work immediately helping me land the 1st 2 bass. They get picky in this water and will only bite on soft plastics when using subsurface lures. So after the popper stopped being effective, I threw on some cool soft plastics I got from a bass guy in NY. Some weird looking leech/tentacle looking sticks. Whatever they're supposed to mimic, the bass loved it. Got a few more on that and some nedded kietechs and stayed busy for a few hours. Biggest that day ran 18" @2.2.
Also, was meeting up with a buddy at a northern river to do it up again. Got there about 15 minutes before him so I was intent on wetting my line before he got the chance. This I learned from his brother! With that, after 3 casts my lure gets sucked down by this 1st fish and after a small battle, was able to jump in and land this lil fattie. After snapping the pic solo,(all pics are done solo) and getting her back in the drink, my buddy pops up right at the release. About 3 hrs later he actually caught the same one right near the same area! The mark on the lip & tail were easily distinguishable. No need for him to take measurements either cause I took them 3hrs earlier. Starting & endind the 93° day with a 20" Larry @3.9! Not too bad for these doggy days!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Keepin' it poppin'

I'm sure it was a great feeling catching on the homemade lure. There are more and more youtube vids on DIY luremaking, some of the results are amazing but most make me jealous of their garage woodshop! And you're right about the dog days man, glad to see you beat the heat with some nice catches.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Site Sponsor

The homemade popper comin in HOTTTTT!!!! Love it
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

wow! Better make more cuz that popper is getting action. Lots of lmbs and a nice pike there.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Homemade lure success nothing better then that nice fish for your efforts keep up the good work. did you ever get those zaras to run true?
Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Keepin' it poppin'

BASSMASTER classic with some Pikes in the mix. Gotta love the damage the homemade popper can do. Well done man!!!
Old 08-15-2020, 09:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome man. Always great when you catch on your own stuff.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys, shit was awesome connecting with the popper! If I do make more Luke, the next one would have to be a touch bigger I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebadger View Post
. did you ever get those zaras to run true?
Hell no!🤣😅 Didn't even mess with it again. Come wintertime I'll have time to tinker with a few things but the summertime always has me on the run. Still surprised the popper works over that spook though.
Got another chance to hit Point View yesterday and had no love with the popper, or any topwater lures for that matter. My buddy was on them quick with soft plastics so after switching to something similar, was able to bag a few also. All 2lbers for the day but stayed busy and had a blast with and old friend!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Awesome job catching fish on your own home made lure! Doesn't get any better than that!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How crowded was point view?? We were gonna go but had too much other chit goin on...maybe in a couple weeks??