NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

North Branch float 9/21/13: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up North Branch float 9/21/13:

Floated from Pluckemin to the confluence of the South Branch. I put in right by 202/206. Twisty and turns, a lot of fast but very small runs. Came across this dam that has been there forever, nailed a few smallies there and kept going. I wanted to get a good photo of this huge estate on the river but when I got close no less than 3 dogs came down barking their heads off. NEVER panic. Stay in the water. I have a whistle and a small filet knife. Only one time have I had a dog enter the water and come after me, glad I was a short distance from the car that day. The dogs didn’t look like Pitts, Rotts or Germans so I really wasn’t too worried. Kept on moving. Did more walking and pulling the canoe than actually floating, came across a big lethargic snapping turtle, saw Mallards and Drakes the entire float. Water was gin clear, deep holes were few and far between, lots and lots of blow downs. Seems the North Branch runs a lot faster and shallower than the South Branch, I could count all the big deep holes on one hand. I went under Rts. 78, 22 and 202. Went past the 4-H grounds and had a great show of remote controlled airplanes. Lots of shale flats and shallow water, very pretty float. Saw tons of 15lb. carp in the deeper spots and hoards of suckers also. Might be a better float in the spring after the river is stocked and the water is up a bit. Did the entire stretch in just over 4 and a half hours, I was moving ! I also wanted to do a garbage/tire recon, 17 tires I saw the entire float and most of them were below Rt. 202. I could have put in at Rt. 22 and floated down, above that the only really deep spots were under all the blow downs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	64328  
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: North Branch float 9/21/13:

Sounds like a great float. Did you see any Bears? There's a Bear cavern on that stretch. Nice day to be on the rivers.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 AM
iceehot6766

Default Re: North Branch float 9/21/13:

Sounds nice Andy!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Cool report, especially not having been there myself, you brought it to life and gave a good feel for the area.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

really dumb question, but when you put into the river and float for 4 hours how the hell do you get back to your ride with your boat?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Any other stops Andy?

Also, there's a deep hole under Burnt Mills Rd that holds fish. I've seen large smallies there. There's also a few really deep spots about a 1/4 of a mile downstream from that bridge--there's two stone/concrete forms on the shore lines there that look like old bridge abutments. The fish hold there, too. And where Chambers Brook enters the North Branch. It's a nice float--I did it once, making one long stop along the way to fish.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
really dumb question, but when you put into the river and float for 4 hours how the hell do you get back to your ride with your boat?
It's called a wife...or Wilson if he goes
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Arrow Re: North Branch float 9/21/13:

Jigman hit it on the head. Water was gin clear, pretty cool looking down 9+ft of water to the bottom in some spots. Fish were in deep holes, I just get caught up in the floating and I forget to fish sometimes !
The wife has been a great shuttle for me.