NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Your Favorite Mono - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-02-2016, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Your Favorite Mono

Trilene here as well, however unlike anyone else so far I like the XT
Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I buy the 5000 yd spool in 12lb of either XL or XT for my 12 linecounter trolling setups, been using it for 4 yrs now and handles anything Ive caught. for my baitcaster for bottom bouncing I like 15lb mono for the stretch factor and all my spinning setups I run 15# powerpro in regular and superslick.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was never a fan of trilene. The xl has zero abrasion resistance and rather poor UV resistance, and the xt is just too stiff. I've long been a fan of Stren but for a number of years I used strictly Silver Thread until they went out of business. Stren has very good abrasion resistance and UV resistance and is nearly as limp as trilene xl but with much better knot strength and overall tensile strength.

BTW I use mainly 6lb line for everything from trout to smallies, lmb, walleye, even small to medium stripers in the Delaware. I do keep a couple poles strung with 10lb for those times when conditions and/or location warrant heavier tackle, i.e. chasing fish larger than 9-10 lb.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Been using Stren for many years and never had any problems with it...
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I recently bought two new rods and reels. an ultra lite and lite rod and spinning reel. I figured I try some main line fluoro. I bought the Berkley vanish. 4 and 6lb test. after casting and retrieving my line my rooster tail or any lure im using just spins in circles for a minute or so. its as if the line is all twisted. I spooled it on my reel just like I always have. im not sure if I did something wrong or its the Berkley vanish line I purchased. any advise will be much appreciated. thanks guys
Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Neutral View Post
I recently bought two new rods and reels. an ultra lite and lite rod and spinning reel. I figured I try some main line fluoro. I bought the Berkley vanish. 4 and 6lb test. after casting and retrieving my line my rooster tail or any lure im using just spins in circles for a minute or so. its as if the line is all twisted. I spooled it on my reel just like I always have. im not sure if I did something wrong or its the Berkley vanish line I purchased. any advise will be much appreciated. thanks guys
Vanish has a history of line twist, from the intro till now. If you like the Berkley brand, their 100% Trilene FC XL is made for spinning and I had no issues with 8lb test.

Only thing I can tell you is try line conditioner, soak the spool in water and make sure the line is coming off the spool to your spool correctly, usually label side facing you. FC for me has always been tough on spinning gear once you go over 6lb test for me, but the Berkley 100% FC XL worked great, remember, it's not the gold 100% FC, it's the gold and red packaging
Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Neutral View Post
Check this thread - I added a lot of commentary on fluoro

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/show...ghlight=invizx
Old 03-03-2016, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Smile Re: Your Favorite Mono

thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I should have researched it before I went out and bought the first fluoro line I seen. well im glad I got to experience it for myself. I just went out and bought 4lb trilene xl smooth cast. I am going to respool my reels tonight and give it a try tomorrow. going to hit a stream that I have been catching rainbows in all winter.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

P line. Green box. Ccx I think. 6 lb is an animal. But that's only on one set up--which I use for trout and live lining Herring. I don't use anything else.

Everything else gets 12-15 lb power pro super slick or sufix 832 with a uni to uni to 8-15 lb seaguar blue label fluoro.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Site Sponsor

Yea. What was mentioned above make sure the line goes off the spool as if it were coming on the spool hard to do it for spinning reel best thing you could do is soak it as mentioned. Next time you buy the spool just let the tackle shop put it on the line winder machine will put it on better and pack it tighter when i worked at efingers we did it all the time for customers free of charge.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423