NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fishermen/Captain Ron Sr. Has Passed - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Fishermen/Captain Ron Sr. Has Passed

Fishermen/Captain Ron Sr. Has Passed

It is with a Broken heart I have to let everyone know that my Dad, Capt. Ron Sr. passed away this morning at the age of 83.

I believe it was a combination of a broken heart from my younger sister Rosemary passing 2 days before Christmas and his short battle with Leukemia.

How do I put 61 years of my life & memories to print? I've done so many dedications over the years to all the awesome customers that have crossed my path that now I have to honor the Best man I've ever known.

My Dad knew from the age of 8 that he wanted to be a Fishermen, while all the other kids back then wanted to be Policemen & Firemen he would tell my Grandma that one day he was going to own a boat. At 19 he bought that first boat, he named it the Fisherboy. It was up the Passaic River and had been in a fire so he got it cheap. After a complete engine job he started sailing from the Sandy Hook Bay marina in Highlands in 1961. Lucky to carry 3 or 4 guys on a good day putting the couple dollars he made into feeding the family. Life was very hard but he persevered finally moving to the Highlands Marina and buying his second boat (an old air sea rescue) that became the first Fishermen.

Dad was the new kid on the block and had to take what was left after all the Older Captains had sailed, he couldn't sail until 10am back then, but still he persevered once again. All the old newspaper guys like him for his honest reports and everyone always called on Friday to get the weekend report. Business started to pick up but the real money was to be made in Atlantic Highlands. Back then you had to be a resident of the town to be first on the list for a slip so Dad bought a house and moved the family to Atlantic. It took a couple of years but a slip came available, Dad bought the Holiday ( a beautiful Stevenson Built boat) from Jack Endeen out of Pt. Pleasant . Business started to grow and his dreams were coming true.

At 18 I got my ticket, It was one of the best days of his life! learning the ropes since I was 14 Dad let me take my first command at 19 years old. A 42 year partnership was born and we never looked back. In 1985 we fulfilled my fathers dream of building a brand new Fishermen. Lydia yachts got the contract, I'll never forget the day we backed her into the slip for the first time....He was so Proud, his goal had been reached. But 6 years later we decided to build the Sandy Hook Lady, a paddle wheel River boat. Dad was even prouder wearing those Captains Epilets .

All the lives he touched with his teachings are many over the years. I couldn't have had a better mentor, a better friend or an even better Dad. I was truly blessed to have him all these years.....It will be very tough moving on without him, he fished 5 days a week even at the end of the season when he could barely make it on and off the boat. He fought so hard and only wanted to fish one more time.

I Love you Dad, thank you for making me the Man I am in your shadow. Until we fish again pop.

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fishermen/Captain Ron Sr. Has Passed

My condolences Captain Ron. Always read your reports and loved hearing about your Dad always at the rail.

Fair winds and following seas. RIP Ron Sr.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So sorry to hear about your loss Capt my prayers are with you and your family.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Although I did not know you guys personally, my father in law, Frank loved fishing with you both. Frank is now stuck in his house at the age of 92 and still remembers the great days on the water that your boat and crew provided for him. I would like to thank you, and your dad for a job well done. My condolences to you and your family and GODSPEED Capt Ron Sr.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

May God have mercy on his soul & give you and your family the strength to get thru this most difficult time.

Last edited by shbeachbum; 01-10-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Sorry to hear that your father crossed over the bar.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sorry for your loss, he was a great teacher and friend.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote Captain Ron :
"All the lives he touched with his teachings are many over the years."
AMEN.
Although our contacts were not too frequent, mine was one of those.
May Senior rest in peace. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

sorry to hear about it Ron, our families were tied together back when we were both kids I'll always remember him, when he sold the fisherboy to jackie and grandma made a big dinner for the occasion. I know he never forgot the day my old man dropped the anchor into the seiners net off the tip of the hook, He reminded me about it whenever i saw him. you had to be there and we were both there. again sorry to hear it.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fair winds and calm seas! It’s a sad day in the fishing world! Prayers and love to you Cap’n Ron and family! He’ll be watching over you and be by your side when you set sail in the coming season!