NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

winter cover help for a center console - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default winter cover help for a center console

I have a 25 foot center console with twin outboards and a t top with a radar dome on top.My question is since i dont want the expense of shrinkwrap every year will a canvas tarp or poly tarp do the job.I only need to cover it from mid november to mid march. The boat will be stored in my driveway.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: winter cover help for a center console

The cheap poly tarps are a real PITA and sometimes do more harm then good. They usually only last one season and your need to be very careful about how you secure it to the boat because it can be very abrasive. If the tarp lays directly on the boat say in the corner or on your outboards and rubs against them because of the wind, it can scratch the gel coat or the paint on your motors or t top.

For that reason it's best to use PVC or wood to make a frame on top of your boat to keep the tarp off of it and where it make contacts with the boat put a towel or something under it.

You also have to secure it very tightly to the boat or it will either rip or be gone due to the wind.

IMHO I would either shrink wrap, get a cover made specifically for your boat or get everything you can off the boat (seats, cushions, bolsters etc) and don't cover it. If you think about it your boat is exposed to the elements March through November any way so why bother covering it for 3 months. The snow is not going to bother it...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There's a couple of ways to secure a cover to your boat.
First off there are HD tarps avable , I bought one at HF company to cover my 33' boat , overall 40'. It held up fine due to proper installation.
When I owned a small CC , 25' I would simply lay in a seriesof
taut f rope supports , then lay tarp on top.
Then secure with bungee cord tie downs where required.
Make sure there are no spans w/o proper support, heavy snow or water will collect & cave it in or stay put putting extra strain on that area.
Keep tarp angles steep so nothing collects & you'll be fine.
Proper installation is the basis for a good cover holding up.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

why cover it at all.... boats are made to get wet and winters, in general, arent THAT bad around here anymore... it isnt like you have a cabin to worry about.... Properly winterize the engine, give my deck and hull a good scrub, some wax, and either remove the leaning post cushion or cover it with a small canvas tarp.... 5 yrs now and never a problem

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the replies.I guess if it is only uncovered for 3 months in the winter it wouldnt be that bad. like you said its made to get wet.Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm not sure I would totally discount the negative. With a normal winter it could be laid up 5 or 6 months from November to March or even April. Want to be painting the bottom in 28 degree weather?

You're getting 5 more months of sun damage. 5 more months of bird sh*t. Leaves and wind blown debris collect on board and eventually clog scuppers &drain plugs. This possibly causes ice damage.

Additionally how would you like you decks covered with water in the form of ice and snow for possibly weeks before it finally melts?

That's a few reasons why covering it, does have some up sides. Whether glove-like fit of shrink wrap. Or a hand-built (pvc or 2"x3") & 1/4" lined skeleton covered with a tarp.

Do not discount what weather does (degrade and eventually reclaim it). Anything you can do to mitigate it is more life for your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team heat
Thanks for the replies.I guess if it is only uncovered for 3 months in the winter it wouldnt be that bad. like you said its made to get wet.Thanks again.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 10-03-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Build a good frame out of wood or pvc, once its done you'll have it for years to use. Get a good heavy tarp, I would change mine every 2 years. I parked my boat at my house and with the trees around it was a must to cover from the leaves and bird droppings. Here's a few photos how I did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21aqua2_Small_.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	54008   Click image for larger version

Name:	21aqua_Small_.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	54009   Click image for larger version

Name:	21aqua3_Small_.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	54010  
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

There you go Mark... Nice job on that frame.

When building the frame you need to be careful about the corners too. If your cover is lying on a sharp corner or edge it's sure to wear it through. Either try and round the corners or duct tape an old towel around them to soften the edge.

Also, the tighter the cover the less it tends to flap and move around creating friction which can eventually wear through the cover and or cause damage to your boat by rubbing against it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice frame job!

Maybe I am a little too consciencious- but I jack the trailer wheels off the ground and use jack stands underneath the axle.

Save tire memory and you can spin it once a month to slather grease around that gravity may have settled to lower points.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
There you go Mark... Nice job on that frame.

When building the frame you need to be careful about the corners too. If your cover is lying on a sharp corner or edge it's sure to wear it through. Either try and round the corners or duct tape an old towel around them to soften the edge.

Also, the tighter the cover the less it tends to flap and move around creating friction which can eventually wear through the cover and or cause damage to your boat by rubbing against it.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber